Chapter 2: Remembering Him

(Y/n) silently walked down the halls, sniffing around for any scent that Subaru could have left. Even though it'd been so long since they'd made that promise, on her way to the manor it was almost all she could think about. Her mind wandered back to the last time she saw him and a pang could be felt in her chest. 'He needs me. He needs to know that i remember.'

It was just then that the familiar scent of Apple filled her nose. 'Maybe he has a thing for them.' She shrugged at the thought and creaked open the door from which the scent wafted. To her pleasure, she was met with a tuft of pinkish-white hair disappearing into a coffin

"I can see you." She hummed, pulling up the coffin's top.

"Go away."

"I promised we'd get to know each other remember?" Subaru's bright pink eyes barely glanced at her.

"It's not like you're my mother. You don't have to care about me." The phrase was simple but it crushed her heart to hear because, in all truth, she kind of wanted to be. After seeing what all of them had gone through, (y/n) wanted nothing but to hold and love the six boys like she did her own.

She wanted to see them happy. With cautious hands, the woman kneeled down to rub the back of her hand over his cheek but he slapped her away. "I said go away!"

"No."

"Why?" By now the white-haired boy was standing in front of her with flickering scarlet eyes. In his gaze, she could see him fighting with his emotions and she couldn't help but reach out to him again. This time he only flinched, allowing her to brush against his soft cold skin.

"Because you stayed alive. I asked you to stay alive until i came and you did. Now i want to give you a better reason to live..." Her thumb wiped away the tiny tear that fell down his cheek. "And maybe see you smile." The anger in his heart subsided and Subaru weakly fell into the woman sniffling into her ear.

She gently moved them so that she could sit while he lay on her lap. At first, he was hesitant but easily gave in and moved so that his face was pressed against her tummy.

"I love you, Subaru and I'd do anything to make sure that you and the rest of my boys are happy." (Y/n)'s soothing voice echoed in his ear and he sniffled in response. Her hands comfortingly stroked his fluffy pink hair.

"But you barely know me."

"Well, that's why I'm here no?"

~~~~~~~~~

"I like strawberries but they aren't my preference."

"Then what am I going to make you?"

"I don't know." Subaru and (y/n) were now snuggled in a corner of the room his head still on her lap while she antagonized over what she'd make him for breakfast since he had yet to eat. "You don't have to worry about it anyway. We have Yui here for a reason." She lightly smacked the top of his head in disgust.

"No, I don't like the way you treat her. You all have grown to be very handsome young men but that doesn't mean you can do whatever you want with an innocent girl."

"Laito does worse than the rest of us." (Y/n) shook her head disdainfully as she thought back to the ginger-haired boy's lustful green eyes. He wasn't the same child she'd known a century ago and she wouldn't be surprised if Cordelia had successfully broken him while she was gone.

With a sigh, the (h/c)ette woman stood up forcing Subaru to move off her lap. His expecting pink eyes stared up at her from his stretched out position on the floor. "Are you going to talk to him?"

"Yes but later. I need to find Shu before I do anything more."

"He's probably in his room. I don't think it's changed since you were last here." (y/n) smiled kissing his cheek before walking out the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The young mother had probably taken twelve different routes to Shu's room yet she still couldn't find it or him. She'd just about given up when an unfamiliar voice came from a nearby room.

"Who's he?" It questioned boredly.

"Our brother apparently. He's only a century old." Laito chuckled a bit and footsteps could be heard.

"Where'd you find him?"

"We didn't. Mother brought him." This time it was Kanato who spoke. 'Mother?'

"Mother?"

"Ms. (Y/n)."

"On our way here, momma couldn't stop talking about you. Also, you can come in now." (Y/n) could hear the smile in Kei's voice and smiled as well before pushing open the wooden door. All eyes went to her including a pair of widened blue ones. Her smile grew and she wrapped her arms around Shu's waist.

"I'm back, just like I promised."