Chapter 4: Truths

Subaru sat with Kei in the gardens, talking to him underneath a luscious green tree. The little boy leaned against the thick bark, listening with both his heart and ear.

"Wait so you don't know anyone at your school?" He asked.

"I prefer to be alone."

"Well since I've been alive for so long I was able to skip all my grades up to 9th. Maybe we can go to school together."

"So you skipped almost six grades?"

"Yeah, momma always made my school work into games that I actually enjoyed so I surpassed a lot of children pretty fast,"  Subaru smirked and ruffled the boy's hair even more than the nighttime breeze already had.

"Well, I guess you know enough about me to become my..."

"Friend?"

"Yeah."

~~~~~~~~~~

Even though Shu was more than comfortable in (y/n)'s arms, it was almost time to officially go to bed meaning that he had to do something to make him tired again. Careful not to wake the woman, he slid from her comforting warmth and left out the room's cherry wood door.

Not a minute after it closed, it did so once more. Laito had come in. He stared at (y/n)'s sheet-covered body with both fear and lust, hesitating to move from his spot. Never had he thought twice about showing a woman his appreciation, but (y/n) wasn't just another woman. She was his mother.

The one person he knew would look past his many flaws and see him for the broken and confused boy he was. He couldn't risk that. Being seen through was something he could afford, but considering she'd gotten both Subaru and Shu to open up, it seemed almost inevitable.

Lost in his frantic train of thought, Laito failed to catch sight of (y/n) rolling over to face him. The fluffy green comforter wrapped around her like a giant burrito shell and her (s/c) head cutely peaked from the top. Curiosity bubbled in her big (e/c) eyes as she looked at him.

"Laito, what's wrong?"

"Ms.(Y/n)..." He breathed. "You've always been so amazing to me." Now fully awake, she gave him a look and wriggled from her cocoon to pat the empty space beside her.

"I've been meaning to see you, but Shu needed to spend a little time with me first." Laito sat next to her with a heavy silence that polluted the room. He had nothing to say but she did. Though she had no idea where to start.

"Laito." She whispered into his ear. Her body was far from touching his, but he couldn't help his shudder of anticipation. Oh, how he loved this woman. When she was gone, memories of her motherly touch and soothing words ran through his young mind on the daily. He recalled always thinking to himself, 'How should I repay her when she comes back. What gift should I give her?'

The memories slowly came back to Laito as (y/n)moved closer to him.  He remembered the day when Cordelia had first begun their incestuous, the sweet words she'd whisper into his ear, the sex that followed, everything.

"Laito, this is how you show love for women, your mother especially." Every time she'd say this, her stubby pink tongue would dart across her soft pink lips. "It makes us happy and you do want me to be happy don't you?" Every time it was the same lie-riddled speech. And every time he'd blindly make love to her with ravenous hunger.  Because that's how you treat your mother...right?

The single-word question echoed in his head before he felt his mind shatter. "How do I love you? What is wrong with me?!" His pitiful cry made (y/n)'s own eyes tear up and he doubled over as if in pain.

She pulled his head to rest on her shoulder. While her hands ran through his hair, her lips pressed themselves against the top of his head a long loving kiss.

"It's not your fault, Laito. It's not your fault at all."

"But I almost- I almost-I-I" Even though he wanted to keep his arrogant persona, the child couldn't help his hopeless stuttering and disgustingly rough voice.

Just like he'd predicted, (y/n) had released his deepest pains with nothing but her presence and was now taking them all away using only her touch and sweet words. When Laito went to tell her more, the door slammed open and Reiji came in with a stern face.

He looked around the room with narrowed red eyes, briefly glancing at (y/n). With an apologetic nod, he left and Laito shyly cuddled closer to her. "He resents you." The words left a nasty scratch on the (s/c) woman's heart. "While you were gone, he'd get mad at even the mention of your name."

"My poor boys, it's just one problem after another with you."

"This isn't close to the worst of it."

"What's the worst of it?"

"When you've finally talked to each of us we're going to start fighting for your attention. We're going to beg you to help us with our past times and ask if you'll cuddle us to sleep."

"So you'll all become children, but the needy kind."

"Yeah." (Y/n) laughed at the ginger's statement and dragged him down so that they both lay against the mattress.

"Then I can't wait."