me and jack met eye contact, taking me out of my thoughts. i got up and went inside for a cup of water.

"hey" johnson said on the doorway.

"sup" i nodded.

"you doing okay?" he asked, obviously just seeing our weird encounter.

"better than ever" i laughed, actually meaning it.

"some of us are headed to a club if you wanna come with loverboy?" he asked.

i know i didn't really include myself in anything anymore. and i feel bad but i just don't feel like i fit in like i used to.

"me and sam actually have a date tonight, he has something he wants to tell me" i mocked him with quotation marks.

"i'll let you slide this time but next time you can't say no" he warned me.

"yes sir" i saluted.

"hey i'm gonna get home for a bit but i'll see you tonight" i whispered to sammy, realizing he's probably getting ideas.

"alright baby, you okay?" he turned around and held my arms.

"yeah i'm fine, love you" i kissed him again.

"i love you too" he smiled.

as i got into my car, i see jack running up to me.

"jack? what's up?" i asked in confusion.

"you said you love him" he panted, still covered in water.

his hair has gotten so short and he's gotten so buff. natalie probably wants him jacked. he's just so different now.

"yeah, we've been saying it for a while" i cleared my throat.

"that's great. i'm really am happy for you two" he laughed lightly.

i sighed in relief, glad he didn't flip out. i'm probably just flattering myself, he doesn't care that much about my relationship and he definitely isn't jealous.

"thanks jack" i said sincerely, alarmed by his weird behavior of maturity.

"i call ring bear at the wedding" he held his hand up.

"it's yours" i smiled, seeing the maturity fly out the window.

obviously we weren't getting married. i can't imagine being a wife to anyone right now.

"we're all growing up so fast" he leaned against my window.

"yeah i know, it's scary" i agreed.

"are you planning on having kids soon?" i asked him. "sorry, that was way too personal" i apologized.

"no nothing's too personal with you, av. but uh i wanted to be a dad at some point but natalie has no interest in kids so i don't think it's in the cards for us" he said in a sad tone.

"she won't even consider it?" i asked.

"we've argued and argued. in the end, i can't force her to have a baby and i wouldn't so that's the end of story" he stressed about the situation.

"i'm sorry. i couldn't imagine being with someone who doesn't want any kids" i said.

as i said, i can't see myself as a wife or mother right now. but i definitely would want to raise kids in the future. and i feel like it's something you should talk about before you get married.

"kids aren't everything right? i'll get over it" he shook it off.

i frowned and was sad for him. i could tell he was heartbroken. even though it's his fault for choosing her before knowing this, i wish natalie wasn't so selfish and cared about making him happy.

"you're still young, maybe she'll change her mind. and if not you'll always be an uncle to mine" i tried to stay hopeful for him.

"you're right, as always. you're the best avery" he hugged me.

"i surprisingly get sick of hearing that" i joked before we said our goodbyes and i took off.

it felt nice to have a healthy conversation with jack. it still felt strained and awkward for me but it didn't feel like i was so far away from him today.

{ vote, comment, share }

-lyss