3.03: chapter thirty-two

Start from the beginning

"I think something's back there," Monroe said, and Elle shot up, awkwardly trying to assure him that nothing could possibly be behind the plant, "I'm going to check."

"You sound crazy, dad," Elle pointed out, pushing him in the opposite side of the plant, then where I was crouched, "What the hell could be behind the plant?"

Your boyfriend, who's about to get his balls chopped off, I thought, making a quick decision. Monroe stepped next to the plant and pulled the leaves to the side, and I jumped out from my side, attempting to do an army-dive across the floor. I ended up sprawled across the floor, phone pressed against my leg, face pressed against the floor.

I looked up, just in time to see Monroe walk next to me, "Scott?" he asked, and I shot him a sheepish smile, "What the fuck is happening?"

I shot up quickly, stuffing my phone in my pocket. I cleared my throat and shot Elle a hopeless look, and she stood next to me. Truthfully, we hadn't been doing anything, but I seemed at a loss of words. I coughed and Coach Monroe waved his hands, a vein throbbing in his forehead.

"I missed Elle," I blurted out, waving my hands frantically to make my point, "She was sick and I missed her, and I know you said I couldn't see her. But, like.. I missed her. And I came and visited and I'm sorry. I get if you want to cut off my balls, but you should take Jay's instead. He's the fucker who texted me and probably gave my position away - "

"Scott - "

"I'm sorry," I continued, cutting Monroe off, "I respect you as a father and coach, but I missed Elle."

Elle reached over and gave my hand a squeeze, and I stared at Monroe, teeth sinking into my bottom lip. Monroe didn't exactly look mad - no, he had a small smile tugging on his lips. He sighed and cleared his throat, taking a step back.

"You've got thirty seconds, Scott," he said, half-way turning towards the kitchen.

I scratched the back of my neck and frowned in confusion, "Thirty seconds for what?"

Monroe glared at me and Elle wrapped her arm around my bicep, pulling me forward and away from her dad, "He's giving you an out, babe."

I nodded, grinned at Coach Monroe, and followed Elle towards the door. Monroe started counting down from thirty and Elle laughed, reaching around me and unlocking the door. I laughed and bent down, kissing her cheek and wrapping one arm around her waist, pulling her towards me.

"Twenty seconds!"

"I'll see you later, babe."

"Tomorrow," Elle called, and I turned back towards her, quirking an eyebrow, "We'll start your practices again."

I grinned at her, "See you, babe - "

"Ten seconds!"

I showed back up at the apartment complex in a way better mood. The second I walked through the doors, I saw Jay standing in front of the elevator, attempting to talk to some girl. I stopped and watched, busting out into laughter when Jay shook his hands out in front of her. The girl scoffed, pushed him back, and the doors closed.

I walked up and patted Jay on the shoulder, making him turn and glare at me, "Smooth, man," I teased, and he pushed me into the elevator when it opened, "What're you even doing here?"

"You say it like I'm not invited," Jay said, crossing his arms over his chest. He frowned and I shrugged, clicking the number for my floor, "Well, even though I know I'm always invited, I have a surprise."

Jay started going on about the surprise, and I just nodded, shouldering my bag and stepping out of the elevator. I grabbed my key from my pocket and pushed open the door, Jay following me in. Con was sprawled out across the chest, Miguel sleeping peacefully on his chest. I slammed the door closed and Connor shot up, Miguel hissing and running away.

I tossed my bag by the floor and walked over to Connor, brushing his feet away. Con frowned and propped his feet up on my lap, and Jay threw himself into the chair next to us. I yawned and leaned back, and Con grinned and leaned over, waving to Jay.

"Did you get Chinese?" Connor asked, a ridiculous smile on his face as he texted someone. I rolled my eyes and leaned forward, grinning at him when I saw Kelly's name written on his phone. Con flushed and stared at me, "Did you?"

"No?" I said, quirking an eyebrow in his direction, "I didn't know I was supposed to."

"I texted you!"

"No you didn't!" I shot back, clicking on my messages.

Con frowned and unlocked his phone, looking down. His light brown eyes widened and he nodded, "I forgot," he admitted, and then glared up at me, "but you're my best friend! You should know when I want Chinese food!"

I opened my mouth to retort, but Jay tossed a pillow at me. I glared and picked up the pillow, swinging it forward in an attempt to throw it back at Jay, but it ended up whacking Con in the face. Connor glared, snatched the pillow out of my hand, and held it against his face. I scoffed and Con flipped me off.

"The surprise! Focus," Jay scolded, and both Connor and I turned to him, eyebrows raised in question, "It's Edi's birthday tomorrow - "

"Really?" I asked, at the same time Connor called out a, "Happy early birthday, Edi!"

"Dude, you say that if Edi's here," I said, and Connor just leaned forward, elbow slamming against my ribs.

"It's the thought," Jay added, and Connor pointed at him, nodding his head in agreement, "Anyway, his parents aren't gonna be in town, and Edi's being a weirdo and saying how he doesn't want to do anything. So, you know what that means."

"Surprise party," Con stated, and Jay grinned, pointing to him.

"Exactly!" Jay agreed, running his fingers through his dark hair, "I think we should throw him a surprise party, otherwise he won't be doing anything. Plus, he's still upset about being dumped. This needs to happen."

I did want to throw Edi a surprise party; he had become one of my really good friends recently, and he deserved a party. I leaned forward, already thinking about how happy Edi would be. He was the type of guy that would say he didn't need anything done for his birthday, but I knew he'd be super grateful to have one.

"Tomorrow?" Jay asked, and Connor grinned, nodding his head, "We could do it at my apartment, or or yours or whatever works. Like, take him out after practice. He'll be fucking surprised."

I paused for a second, realizing what day Jay wanted to do this. Tomorrow.

Tomorrow was also the day that Elle wanted to have our first new practice. I knew Elle would understand if I told her about Edi's party - she'd probably end up showing up. I bit my lip and frowned; Elle had to be okay with it. She was getting better, and we'd be spending more time together, anyway. She would understand.

She was Elle. Of course she'd understand.

"All right," I agreed, a grin breaking out on my face, "Tomorrow it is."