Navigare 107

"Kira?" Tumingin ako kay Stark nang tawagin niya ako.

"Yes?" This is actually the first time I met somebody who is not vulnerable to the gift I have. Kaya naman naninibago ako at nagtataka ako. I thought there was no exception, but here, beside me, lies the exception.

"Do you mind if we dance?" Aya nito at saka tinuro ang dance floor kung saan marami nang mga magkaka-partner ang sumasayaw. They danced to the romantic beat of the orchestra.

Since I was curious now that he had no scent at all, I agreed. Maybe I will find out why if I try to get close to him.

"It will be quick." Sabi ko kay Aurelius. That's when his uneasiness became more visible to my nose. Tumayo na kami ni Stark mula sa aming pwesto at naglakad papunta sa sayawan. For a brief moment, I saw Stark wink at Aurelius meaningfully, as if the wink was enough for him to communicate what he wanted to.

"Kilala mo rin si Aurelius," I told him as we danced slowly.

"Yes. He is my sister's... um, friend." He laughed. But at some point in his sentence, he seemed to be reluctant and it was like he was playing with fire, like he knew something but decided to not say it because that would spoil everything.

"Yep, I heard it from him." Sagot ko na lang. Now, how do I try to get to know him? What should I ask? I cannot possibly ask him why he had no smell at all. He will probably think of me weirdly if ever that does occur.

"And you seriously believe that?" He asked, as if implying something.

"Of course, Aurelius was there during my darkest days."

"Do you believe that there are forces out there that are conspiring for you to have this kind of life? Like, meeting Aurelius, do you believe it is by chance?"

"Yes." I smiled. "I believe in chances, not conspiracies."

Hindi na umimik pa muli si Stark. It seemed like he wanted to tell me something, but decided not to. Whatever it is he wanted to say, it seemed important.

"Look, Kira, I am not in the position to say this but... don't put your trust on Aurelius too much."

"He is trust-worthy." Mariing sagot ko. How can I not trust the man who has been there, like a ray of sunshine, during my darkest days? Laging andoon si Aurelius. Para siyang regalo at biyaya sa akin ng Diyos. Para siyang anghel sa bagong buhay ko, a life where there will no longer be killing, death, war, and evil. Just a normal life. Aurelius was there to give me another purpose, another reason to wake up every day.

If there is any man I am considering to love again, then it is no other man but him. He has already proven enough about himself already and all that matters is that he is always there for my rescue. I know that by heart.

"Really? Then, tell me something about him. Like, his family, for example." Stark challenged.

Now that I think of it, he never opened up about his family. Pero ganoon din naman sa akin, I never told him anything about myself. That does not mean I am not trust-worthy, I know the case is also the same with Aurelius.

"You don't know, right? Because he never told you."

"What are you trying to say?" Matigas na sagot ko. Napakalaki ng utang na loob ko kay Aurelius. I won't tolerate anymore damage from this man's mouth.

"He has a lot of secrets." This man probably hates Aurelius that is why he is saying such things. Pero hindi ko alam ngunit tila bumulong ang aking isip na tama at totoo ang kanyang mga sinasabi. But, if ever he does hold some secrets, who am I to judge? Not like I am any different.

"Me too." I smiled. "I guess that is why we get along, because we don't push each other to reveal what they are hiding. This is the level of trust you ought to understand."

"Alright, but don't tell me I did not warn you. There are things I know that you probably want to know. But since now that I am saying something superficial to that thing I actually know and you're not listening at all, no use saying. Tandaan mo na lang, walang sikreto ang hindi nabubunyag. And since I told you I love fun, I will just be on the sides, watching. Making sure I get to be entertained as much as possible."

With that, I stopped dancing. "Thanks for the dance." Hindi ko na siya hinintay pa at pumunta na ako kay Aurelius. "Let's go home. I don't want to be here anymore."

"Did he do something to you?" He asked, worried.

"Wala." Matigas na sagot ko. "He just told me things."

"Things?"

"Yes." I replied. "like I shouldn't trust you."

I sensed the anger that he released by breathing, he can manage his feelings well. Of course, sino ang hindi magagalit? Especially if somebody has talked behind your back.

"Thanks for telling me." Aurelius smiled. "I guess you are right, let's get you home. But before that, let me go to Saavedra and tell her we're going first."

I nodded. "Give me the car key, mauuna na ako."

He agreed and handed to me the key. After getting that, I walked towards the elevator. I took the lift down to the ground floor and took my exit on the hotel. Then I rode Aurelius' car.

I put the key in the ignition and the car roared to life. Hinintay ko na lang si Aurelius habang nasa loob ako ng sasakyan. Tiningnan ko na lang ang entrada at labasan ng hotel para makita kung nandito na ba siya.

What caught my attention was an old man who was pushing a wheelchair. If I remember it right, that old man was Dr. Rostova, the guy we talked to a few minutes ago. And the guy in the wheelchair... probably one of his patients since he is a doctor.

May isang itim na van ang tumigil sa harap nila. May mga tauhan namang nagsakay doon sa lalakeng naka-wheelchair. When they were all in, the car hurriedly left. It passed me by... and that moment, once more, I caught a vague scent of Maximo.

Bumalik ako sa huwisyo nang may kumatok sa bintana ng sasakyan, I rolled the glass down, "you'll drive?" Aurelius asked.

"Since nakaupo naman na ako dito sa driver's seat, yes, I will." I smiled. "Matagal na rin akong hindi nagmamaneho, so, suit yourself, baka nangalawang na nga ako e." I did my best to ignore that faint scent, but it still lingered in the air.

Why is it that whenever I try to forget Maximo, there are traces of his existence that suddenly come and go? As if I was not allowed to move on from him, as if I am still stuck in the past... and as if I am still hoping that he is somewhere, out there, alive.

There is no way he is alive, right? Because if he was, nahanap na sana niya ako. I literally announced to the world where I am. Kung buhay man talaga siya, edi sana nasa tabi ko na ulit siya.

I closed my eyes once more and when I opened it, I was already determined—it is truly time to move on already.