Navigare 13

I absentmindedly dropped the glass I was holding, the sound of it shattering into shards resonated. Marco and his brother stopped talking. I felt my heartbeat racing. I frantically looked around to hide, nakita ko ang mesa, mabilis akong nagtago sa ilalim nito, the floral tablecloth fell into the cold marble floor, it was enough to hide my presence.

I heard the door opening. "Who's there?" It was Marco's brother. I held my breath as my eyes were wide open. What did I just hear? Papa killed their parents? How can that be? I find it so unbelievable.

That's not the father I knew. He isn't that kind of man.

"Meliodas, inapakan mo 'yong mga bubog." Marco warned.

"Oh." Meliodas looked down. "Damn. My boots."

"I'm sure there was someone here." Marco looked around, I can see a little bit because of the floral holes of the table cover, thank god it was dark here. I can feel the beads of sweat tickling my forehead down. "Mauna ka na, Meliodas."

Nagkibit-balikat si Meliodas, "if you say so. Check this place up to see if there was someone who eavesdropped. Bye, little brother." He chuckled as he patted Marco on his shoulder.

"Little brother, my ass." Marco smirked.

Nang umalis na si Meliodas ay naiwan si Marco, he closed the door and locked it. I gulped silently. I put my palm towards my nose and mouth, trying to suppress my ragged breath.

I heard Marco's heavy footsteps, slowly becoming louder. How can I ever face him knowing that my father killed his parents? No. I'm not going to believe that. How can it be? Papa isn't a criminal!

"Akira."

I gasped, saktong iyon ay tinaas ni Marco ang tela ng pahabang mesa. He bent his knee to see me. Umiwas ako ng tingin sa kan'yang. How can he know it was me?

"You heard?"

Wala sa sarili kong binaling ang tingin sa kan'yang, he was looking at me—it was the same look he always gave me. I don't understand him at this point. Shouldn't he be mad? Or raising his hand at me? But why not? Why was he so calm? Like he never heard that papa ruined his family?

I nodded. I bit my lips and looked away again.

"Look at me." He ordered. "I said look at me."

And I did. He smiled and offered his hand, I reluctantly accepted it, he pulled me out of my hiding place and helped me up.

"You know it's bad to eavesdrop."

Hindi ako umimik. I tried to think of something, anything but what I heard. "How did you know it was me?"

"Your scent gave you away."

"I don't use perfume." Sagot ko naman sa kan'yang.

"I didn't say it was your perfume, I said your scent." He shrugged.

"Hindi ba't dapat ay galit ka sa akin?"

"Why would I be?"

"Because, you know." I trailed off.

"It wasn't you who killed my parents, it was your father. Meliodas knows that too in his heart. So we have no reason to be mad at you for something your father has done."

"I don't believe it. Papa can never do all the accusations you all are claiming." I declined.

"Believe or not, what is true is always true." Marco yawned. "I'm going. You better clean your mess." He pointed the shards of the broken glass. "Ciao." He stopped, "oh, before I forget, tomorrow is your coronation."

Nanatili akong nakapako sa aking kinatatayuan, hindi ko alam ang gagawin. I was lost and confused. I watched Marco exit the hall.

When he was gone, I finally heaved my unsuppressed breath. Tila nawalan ng bara sa aking lalamunan. But what I heard was still playing in my head like a broken stereo.

Wait, what did Marco just say?

Coronation?