Navigare 84

Bumalik ako sa huwisyo nang magsalita muli si Maximo. He was interrogating the remaining guy. Fear became evident in his eyes. It was as if he was looking at a monster. Well, that was quite true.

Maraming mga tauhan... pero sa isang iglap, lahat ay patay na. That is how powerful and wicked Maximo is.

Nanlaki ang aking mga mata nang tinutok ng lalaki ang kan'yang baril sa ulo at pinutok ito. Umiling si Maximo at suminghal. With that, he looked at my father, the only one left in the room since my mother has stormed off.

Napaurong si papa, doon na siya pinagpawisan at namutla. Halata ang panginginig niya habang ang mga mata ay nakadapo kay Maximo, "you... you're a monster."

"You shall not speak unless you are asked." Maximo walked, closing the distance between him and my father, tinutok ni papa ang baril niya kay Maximo. "Don't shoot at me... or else."

Hindi nakinig si papa. Narinig ko ang malakas na tunog ng baril. Hindi umigtad si Maximo, sa halip ay hinarang niya ang bala gamit ang kan'yang espada. The metallic clash of the bullet and sword sprung the room like a rose on its prime.

"I said... don't shoot." Sa isang iglap ay hawak na ni Maximo sa leeg si papa. "Don't test my patience, old man." He raised my father like he weighs nothing using his left hand, "don't do anything stupid unless... you want to die."

My father gagged. Maximo released his grip from him, napaluhod si papa sa sahig at umubo-ubo pa siya. I wonder why... it seems like I don't care anymore about him as I look at him. All I see is a dead man. The father I once knew... he is dead. He is nothing but a memory to me now.

"Starfish, you do the honor of interrogating your father."

Tumango ako at saka nilapitan si papa. I wanted to ask a lot of things... but am I prepared to hear the answer? The truth? About everything?

I sighed. I need to know. It is not a matter of wanting or not, or being prepared or not. Either way, this is reality... and when you are to face this cruelty of reality, the first thing you need to do is to know what you are facing so that you won't be shocked, at least, when you face the circumstances. So that you won't be blown away by the winds.

"What do you mean Maximo and I didn't meet by chance?"

"I was confident that he will raid the cruise ship where you will be voyaging." My father started, pinunasan niya ang pawis na namumuo sa kan'yang noo at nagpatuloy. "Akira, only I and your mother knows you, come back to us... it is not yet too late, don't let this man destroy you."

Kumuyom ang aking kamao, wala sa sarili kong tinutok ang punyal ko sa kan'yang mukha. "Answer my goddamn question, Mikhael."

"Is that how you will call your father after everything he has ever done to you?"

"Enough with the father card, you know you weren't a good father to me. Give me an answer, what do you mean my encounter with Maximo is not a coincidence at all?!"

"Because I planned it!"

Ano ang ibig niyang sabihin? Hindi ko maintindihan...

"Using the recent activities of raiding, I deduced the most possible ships that will be looted by the Renaissance, and a cruise ship popped out. I took the chance that you were heartbroken by Vanz and used it as an excuse to send you away, with the prior knowing that it may bring you and Maximo together... it was a reckless idea with no logical basis, but it worked out, as you can see. I was confident in you, Akira... that you may bring a boy, even a king, down on his knees."

No. This cannot be true. My father could have not possibly planned it, right? I mean... everything was a mere chance-encounter, with cupid playing, with destiny and fate intertwining Maximo and mine's future.

"Why are you so hell-bent in finding Maximo?" Why am I asking this even if I know the answer already?

"It is because I am... I am the leader of the Sea Brigands." My father declared, just confirming my doubts. "Alexander Renaissance is my biggest enemy. For so long, he has been interfering with my business. With everything. I needed to get rid of him, or so the sea will not be as free as it once was. This... this fake royalty wanted me to pledge loyalty to him, well, fuck that! I will not pledge my riches to someone and I made that very clear when I sunk the ship of his parents!"

Maximo's muscled tensed, hinawakan ko siya sa kan'yang kamay upang pakalmahin siya.

"And what about Excel?"

"She's another case." My father smirked. "You were brought in this world... thanks to her." I know that. I know. "You have a special ability because of her." And I know that, too. "Your mother and I had no plans to have another child anymore... but since it was essential if we were to steal Excel's journal containing the formula that will lead to mankind's evolution, so that we can have a closure, we needed to. And that was only if we oblige to be one of her test samples for this Sixth Sense babies. But she is goddamn witty. She keeps disappearing like she does not exist."

So... I was born out of a bad intention, huh? Wow. Another revelation.

"Your mother and I planned to have you aborted, but... knowing that you will be different and special, we didn't. We planned to raise you as our own blood and daughter. So that we can observe you as well knowing the fact that Excel has gone, you are the only link that we cannot afford to severe. We studied your cells, Akira... but you are such a mystery. Because, indeed, you are."

Kumuyom ang aking kamao. Wala akong ibang naramdaman sa mga oras na ito kundi ang galit. Ngunit may mga salitang tumatak sa aking isip.

Your mother and I had no plans to have another child anymore...

What does that mean?

"Wait, ano ang ibig mong sabihin na wala kayong plano ni mama na magkaroon ulit ng ibang anak?"

Humalakhak si papa. "That is just because you are not our only child."

Naguguluhan na ako. May kapatid ako?

"You are confused, I see..."

Ano ba itong mga nalalaman ko? Masyado na akong naguguluhan. Masyado na akong nabibigla.

"You have a brother."

A brother?

"An older brother." Tugon ni papa.

An older brother...

"And you know him." He added. "You do know him, Akira. We pretended that he was adopted, but he wasn't. He is made of my own flesh and blood..."

No... this cannot be...

"We pretended that we sent him away for unleashing the beast inside you, but no... I sent him away to command Sea Brigands in my stead, because I had my hands full with many things... with business and politics."

Pakiramdam ko ay kikirot na ang aking ulo. Unti-unting nagpoproseso ang lahat.

"Totoong kapatid mo si Kid, Akira." Papa gave me a smile.

With that, the door slammed open, revealing a man in striped tuxedo. "Is that my cue to enter, father?"