Navigare 49

I was confused with my memories. Nothing makes sense about the recollections I have with my brother—him saving me, then him... I can't even say it out loud. Pinag-isipan ko nang mabuti ang mga ito. They were all conflicting memories. One must be true and one must be not, but telling which is which is hard. I guess this matter can wait as there is still a bigger issue in the picture, something that is not just about me, but other people.

"Do you think it's still safe at the Jolly Roger's town? The murder highly affects our barter trade." Sabi ng isa sa mga pirate councils. Nasa loob kami ng conference hall, everyone looked grim and serious. Of course, it was the first time after all that they will encounter such phenomena in this island.

"I cannot assure y'all that the city is safe," Maximo sighed exasperatedly, "but the murderer has been disposed of, but there are other possibilities that we must be prepared of, there is a high chance that the murderer has a troupe."

"Then we find the troupe and kill 'em." The loud voice of the highest pirate council resonated on the place. I heard from Mermaid that his name is Goliath, well, I won't argue since he was quite big for someone of his old age.

"Well, it's not as easy as it sounds." Joziah finally spoke, "I reckon that the murder is not just a murder, since the body of Caroline, the victim, was carved with a single letter—K, I think somebody out there who is pulling the strings is giving a warning. This is just a personal speculation, of course, but who in the right mind would carve something towards a body if he doesn't want to leave a message?"

"Kira's initial is K. Perhaps the enemy is warning her. She was there at the crime scene, is what I've been told. So, she has something to do with it. It's nothing but normal to say that she caused it." Goliath declared. Nagkaroon naman ng bulung-bulungan. I can feel that most were blaming me for what has happened, kaya naman yumuko ako.

Nagulat ako nang biglang tumayo si Maximo, "or Starfish was just at the wrong place at the wrong time." Nakita ko ang pagkuyom ng kan'yang kamao, "have y'all ever heard of the word coincidence?" May giit sa boses niya dahilan upang tumahimik ang lahat. He looked at me worriedly, "never fucking dare to point all of this to my queen. You weren't there when the crime happened, and if it wasn't for her, the man behind all these wouldn't have had been caught. So instead of fucking pointing all the blame to her, you should be thanking her." Halatang nagtitimpi na siya sa kan'yang galit. "Y'all know nothing about what the world out there truly is because you're all enjoying your days confined in the walls of this palace, sipping wine and tea. You all know nothing, y'all just rich and fat leeches. Never shame my queen again or I'll put my sword into your throat regardless of you who are."

Hinawakan ko ang kamay ni Maximo upang pakalmahin siya, "Maximo, that's enough." I whispered softly.

Bumuntong-hininga siya at saka yumuko. Naramdaman ko naman ang biglang pagbigat ng atmosphere ng silid. Everyone was sweating, I was, too. I've never seen Maximo's angry side. He was, after all, a calm and composed man.

"I called y'all here not to let y'all blame Starfish, but to discuss matters on how to keep the security of this island tighter. I believe every single one of you already knows that Meliodas is dead, killed by Mermaid, and Marco is presumed to be dead as well. Let's put all of these things behind as we're faced with a new dilemma while Treasure Trove is still somewhere out there. It is important to know where our priority lies, and that is this island and our people's well-being."

Maximo discussed his plan thoroughly. There will be patrols around the city of Jolly Roger, 24/7. Of course, para maging kampante ang mga nasa palasyo, magkakaroon din ng maraming bantay sa paligid. Though I don't really feel good about this at all. What if one of the enemies disguise themselves as one of the guards? I thought about the risk, I kept it to myself since it seemed like that's the only thing to keep the people's worries at bay.

After the meeting, Maximo told me he will go to his quarters. I excused myself and told him I'll just go to the watchtower of the palace. I remember going to this place during the feast with Maximo. Sumandal ako sa barandilya ng watchtower at pinagmasdan ang tanawin—nasa taas kami ng burol,

I glanced at the ocean where the ships were sailing around. With different colors and flags. These are all pirates who pledged loyalty to Maximo. I can never imagine how he did it, I was awed that he had so much followers on his back, but not behind him. That's how Maximo's leadership goes.

Hinayaan ko ang simoy ng hangin na haplusin ang aking pisngi. Pinikit ko ang aking mga mata at dinama ito. Bigla kong naisip kung kumusta na kaya sina papa? Are they still looking for me? Or has he given up and decided to pursue campaigning for his presidency? Come to think of it, next month will be the election.

Only fools will vote for that fool. I thought bitterly.

When I had enough, I decided to come down, sinalubong naman ako ni Mermaid, it seemed like she was just about to go to my chamber, "ano iyang hinahawakan mo?"

"Lunch mo, Ate Kira."

"Let me take it." Inagaw ko ang tray sa kan'yang kamay at saka naglakad sa pasilyo. "I'm curious, how did you end up becoming a hostage for human trafficking?"

"Well, binenta po ako ng mga nag-ampon sa akin. After training me to become an assassin. S'yempre kikita sila sa akin, binenta nila ako sa mga pirata, at syempre ang mga pirata, mas kikita pa sila kung ia-auction nila ako. Ganern."

I nodded. "You must have had a rough childhood then, I mean, your abilities are beyond normal. How did your foster family train you?"

Tila natigilan si Mermaid, I can see her eyes wavering for a moment. As if remembering something horrible.

"Okay, let's not talk about it. I'm sorry for being an insensitive sis."

Umiling si Mermaid at hinawakan ako sa aking pantalon, "noong unang araw ko po, ate, kinulong nila ako sa isang silid na punong-puno ng mga ipis at insekto. Takot na takot ako noon. Mga tatlong araw bago nawala takot ko at saka ako nilabas."

What the hell? That is beyond my imagination. Thinking about it is sending chills down to my spine. It is unimaginable.

"Being exposed by the insects for consecutive days and not losing your mind is a way of passing the evaluation, iyon ang sinabi sa akin ni master." Mermaid nodded, remembering the verbatim of whoever has adopted her, but I think it was too much for a young and sweet kid like her. "Kung mahina raw po kasi ang iyong pag-iisip, hindi ka bagay maging assassin."

When we were finally at my chamber, I decided to share my lunch with Mermaid. I just looked at her. I cannot imagine the things she'd been through. She's good at hiding all those bad memories behind, with her smiles that reaches her eyes. With her jolliness and charm. She doesn't deserve this. She deserves more.

"Ate Kira, may kapatid po ba kayo?"

Natigilan ako sa kan'yang tanong. "I-I... well..."

"Meron po?"

I smiled, "I think so."

"You think so?"

I nodded. I wasn't sure.

It was a good thing Mermaid didn't pry anymore.