Chapter 10

I've been in here for days, and I'm bored and antsy. The only other living things I see are the mers who bring me food. Other than that, I'm stuck sitting here, and no one will tell me why. The only good thing is that they took off the handcuffs. Now I spend my days practicing my powers. It's the only thing I can do. I've actually gotten sorta good at manipulating water, but the bracelet still burns, and it blocks me from going much farther. Part of me is sad that I can't discover what else I can do, but I guess I should be thankful that I can't destroy anything.

I've been practicing freezing and heating up the water as well. I gave the guards quite a scare when they saw the water around me start bubbling. I keep thinking about what happened at the palace with Casmir. I can't believe what he did. Just thinking about it fuels my anger. I have to get out of here before I burst.

"Let him go now!"

I hear someone yelling, and it makes tingles go down my spine. Cautiously, I stand up against the wall.

"But—"

"No. Let him go. Now."

My heart beats faster when a guard comes down the hall and unlocks my cell door. He opens it right as Zander swims down the hall and into my cell. He rushes over and hugs me.

I freeze, and my anger slips.

He pulls back and looks at me with concern. "Are you okay? I would've come sooner if anyone had told me you were here. I'm sorry they locked you up. I told them not to, but I guess they didn't listen."

I brush his hands away from my arms and grab onto my anger. "Don't touch me. I'm fine. I am confused on why I've been kidnapped and put in a jail cell for the past couple days."

Zander looks confused and hurt as he looks me over. "That's hard to explain," he says eventually. "It's better if I show you. Come with me."

He swims out, and I follow. This is my first look at where I was being held for so long. I expected a lot more than rock and some plants. But then again, it is the ocean. I follow Zander through the passageways, and it takes everything in me not to go up and take his hand. That one touch from before sent my mind and body into a frenzy. I can't stop playing that moment over and over again in my head. I don't know why, but I need contact with him. My body craves it, and not even my anger can quell it.

We enter a cavern, and I look around in amazement. It looks like a base of sorts with stacks of food and weapons. The only thing missing are the mers. It's eerily quiet with only us two in here.

"Woah." Even my voice echoes.

"Welcome to the Shell, the base for the Resistance."

"Resistance?"

"There's a threat to the future of Meridian. It's our job to stop it."

"Then why take me? I have nothing to do with any of this mer business."

"Our scouts spotted you talking with Casmir. We thought you might know something."

"Well, I don't know anything."

"Is there any way you can ask him--"

"No. I'm not speaking to him ever again. I came here to help my sister and that's what I was going to do before your people kidnapped me and then held me with no cause. I don't know the rules down here, but where I come from, that's a felony. So, if you don't mind of course, your highness," I fake bow, "I'll be on my way." I look around for a way out, but there's so many openings, I don't know which one leads where.

"Your highness? So you know."

I look at him and see a smirk on his face. Part of me thinks that it makes him ten times hotter, but I push those feelings aside. I don't need them right now. "That you're the heir to the throne of Meridian? Yeah, I know. And I don't care. I won't intrude on your kingdom for much longer. I just need to see the wiseman and get some medicine. Then I'll get out of your pretty little hair."