Chapter 6

We make our way through the navy water. I'm back to being carried on Casmir's back, but I don't mind. It's better than looking at his face right now. I need some time to think, and, with the flowing water around me, it's easy. It's calming the anger in my veins. I still don't know what to do about the bracelet on my wrist and its connection to my powers, but if I can get angry like this and my powers are fine, then I'll keep it on. I also don't know what to do about Casmir. One minute we're fine, and then the next, there's this tension between us. I don't know what I did, and I don't like it. I can never seem to do anything right. But aren't we mates? And aren't mates one half of the others soul? Maybe I got it wrong, but Casmir and I don't feel like the other half of each other's souls. But then again, maybe today is an off day. He has been away from his home for far too long. Maybe he's stressed? I sigh. I have no idea.

We eventually stop at another cave and we settle in for the night. Casmir goes right to sleep, but I have trouble. No matter which way I turn, I can't get comfy. It makes me miss my comfy bed at home. I miss my bed and my room, and the way the evening light shown through my window. I miss my shower and my clothes, and that feeling of knowing where everything is. Down here, a monster could be lurking in the water, and I would have no idea.

I look around when the water picks up around me. I gasp as the bracelet burns, and the water settles, and I realize that even down here I could really hurt someone.

"There's light in this cave."

I go on high alert when I hear voices outside the cave. I look at Casmir, but he hasn't moved, so I slowly get up and swim toward the mouth of the cave. It's dark so I grab onto my necklace to block some of the light as I peer around the side. My eyes widen as I spot a group of about ten mers floating outside the cave. They look different from Casmir and Zander, but at the same time, the same. Their tales have that same shimmer that Casmir's has, but they have the red that Zander has. Most of them have different shades of red hair and those that don't, have red colored trinkets covering their hair. It looks weird against the blue of the ocean. I wonder what they want.

I spot two mers swimming this way, and I duck back around the edge and bump into someone. I can't help the shout that escapes my lips, but a hand covers my mouth, so it's not that loud.

"Shhh," I hear. "It's me."

I calm slightly when Casmir let's go of my mouth. I turn and face him.

"Two are coming this way."

He nods. "Then we need to leave." He turns and swims back into the cave, and I follow him.

I can't help but look behind my shoulder every so often but I can't see or hear anyone following us. They must've realized that no one was coming out of the cave and left. At least, I hope so.

I follow Casmir throw the pathways and deeper into the cave. It's scary how dark it is here, even with the necklaces. I see a light up ahead and gets excited. We made it away from them. We exit the cave and freeze. Around five mers surround us, and when they see us, they shout.

They raise their weapons and aim it at us. Glow rocks hang from belts around their waists, making them look like they're glowing. Soon, all of the red mers surround us, their weapons drawn and aimed at us.

Casmir throws his arm in front of me and pulls me behind him. "Stay quiet," he whispers to me. Then he address the mers. "What do you want from us? We were doing no harm."

One of the mers comes forward. "We see your scales. You're from Meridian."

"What of it, Manta?"

The other red mers make sounds that I can only assume are laughter.

"So Meridian has some fire in him. To bad we have more."