Prologue

"And the winner for the Crest High School 2019 Spring Science Fair is... Stacey Bofield. Congratulations." Appald follows Stacey as she goes to the front to get her trophy.

"What?" I exclaim. The crowd disperses, and I go over to her. "This isn't fair, and you know it." I cross my arms. "You only won because your dad owns the hospital."

She hmmps at me. "Don't be a sorry loser, Blaisey. It's not my fault that my dad's the richest person in this dump town."

My blood boils. I spent months on this project, working late into the night. Stacey probably paid someone to do it for her. I glare at her, but I stomp down on the anger. I don't need things spiraling out of control now. It won't do me any good. "Congrats, Stacy," I spit out.

She smiles, flips her hair, and leaves with her trophy.

My hands close into fists as I spin on my heel and get as far away from her as I can. Walking down the hallway, I look out of the window at the approaching storm. A twinge of fear sparks in me, and I take a breath. Control, control, control. Don't let it out. Don't--

"There's little Blaisey. Out here all by himself." I spin around and see Trey and Deacon walking my way. Second and third place ribbons are pinned to their shirts. I glare at them. Losing to Stacey was bad enough but to lose to the two stupidest people in this smallass school? That is unbelievable.

"What do you want, Trey?"

"I saw your project Blaisey, and I have to say, not my best work."

"What are you talking about?"

"When you left, I switched our projects. I turned in a project while you, in fact, did not." Trey pushes me against the wall and gets in my face. "I think I'm going to go show my dad what I won. I think you should, too. Oh. Wait. You can't." His friend snickers. The rain outside pelts the windows.

"My dad left because--"

Trey laughs. "Your dad left because he took one look at you and realized how much of a disappointment you are."

"You're wrong."

"He didn't even need to look at your sorry excuse for a sister. You were disappointment enough."

The wind rattles the windows. The rain sounds like bullets against the glass. "You can berate me all you like, but you never bad mouth my sister. Ever." I'm shaking.

Deacon grabs Trey's arm. "Dude. Look." He points to the rattling windows.

I can feel the raging storm travel throughout me. Its energy sizzles in my veins. It's exhilarating. I watch as fear enters their eyes, and they turn and run. A second later, the glass shatters, and the storm surges through the hallway. I stand in the middle, hair and clothes thrown against the wind. I get soaked as I raise my shaking hands. That's when it hits me.

Control. Control. Control.

But don't they deserve it?

That thought shocks me. Do they?

Yes. They've tormented you for years, bullied you about your dad and your younger sister. They deserve to pay.

No. They don't.

I squeeze my eyes shut and force the storm to dissipate. I fall to the ground in relief and exhaustion. No one deserves the pain I cause. Then the reality of what happened hits me. What have I done?

I run down the hallway. My shoes splash in the puddles, and water runs down my face. I go back to the gym, but there's no one here. The projects are thrown around the gym, soaking wet and ruined. I rush out of the doors and run down the sidewalk. Trees, cars, mailboxes, and everything else not tied down are strewn everywhere. The streets are empty and everything is soaking wet. I stand there, turning in a circle. What have I done?