Chapter 4

"I wish I was those fish," I mumble when I wake up. I don't know how long I was asleep, but I don't feel like moving. I'm too warm and comfy.

"Why?"

"So I could swim around and not have a care in the world. I could go wherever I wanted without any restrictions. There's no fighting and no emotions. Emotions can be confusing."

"What kind of emotions?" Zander rubs his thumb along my hand, and now I see where my head rested.

I sit up and blush. "Sorry," I say, highly embarrassed.

He smiles. "No need to apologize. You're cute when you're sleeping."

I swear there is steam in the water from how hot my face gets. I clear my throat. "You never answered my question," I remind him. "Why were you at the hospital? How were you at the hospital? You have a tail."

"Mers can change from tail to legs when they wish. That way we can blend in with the humans when necessary and also go on land to find our mates." He looks at me when he says this and my heart flutters.

"Oh." I break the gaze, trying to clear my head and remember what he asked me. "I— I don't know what I am, but I grew up on land. That's why I think I don't have a tail, but I can breathe underwater, and I have powers."

"You have powers?" He sounds surprised.

"Yeah."

"Can you show me?"

"No," I shout, a little louder than necessary, and grab onto the bracelet on my wrist. "No," I say again, softer. "No." All of a sudden, I remember Casmir, sleeping in a cave not too far from here. Pain slices through my heart. I swam off with another merman and had-- I don't even know!

Zander shifts and holds onto my face. I almost cry with how soft he's being. "I can see the fear in your eyes, Blaise. What's wrong?"

"It's nothing." Jes flashes in my mind, and the bracelet burns. I get up. "I have to go. I'm sorry." I swim back the way we came, and I can hear him following after me.

"Blaise, wait!"

I swim past a school of fish when I feel a hand grasp my wrist, and I get pulled into a hug.

"I'm sorry," Zander whispers in my ear. "I pushed you. I apologize, just please, stay a little longer."

My heart pounds, and my head feels fuzzy. I close my eyes, turn around, and wrap my arms around him. The sparks feel amazing, and I can't think straight.

"Blaise!" I hear my name being called, and I let go of Zander. I can feel the sadness coming off of him, mostly because it's coming from me too. I turn to find a girl swimming our way, and it surprises me that this is the first time that I'm seeing a real life mermaid. She stops next to us. "Blaise, I'm so glad I found you. I've been looking for you everywhere. You can't swim off like that without telling anyone where you're going."

"I'm sorry. Do I—"

"Now, we must get going." She grabs my arms and pulls me away from Zander. My heart tugs at that.

"Wait! But I—" I try to tug out of her grip, but it's too strong. She pulls me farther away, but I see Zander swimming after us. He grabs onto my outstretched hand and halts the mermaid pulling on me.

"Let him go," he says.

"No." The mermaid swings her hand up and a rush of water yanks Zander from me.

"Zander!" I yell.

The mermaid yanks on my arm again and pulls me away.

I pull against her. "Let me go."