twenty-three

"hi donghyuck."

the tanned male tensed seeing another pair of eyes staring back at him.

"how do you know i'm here?" donghyuck asked in a flat tone.

"mrs. lee told me.." lucas answered.

donghyuck sighed as he moved away from the door, leaving the latter standing there, "come in or you can just stand there, you choose."

lucas smiled to himself, closing the door behind him and took off his shoes.

"lucas if it's because of work i don't have mood to talk about it," donghyuck threw himself on the comfy couch, letting out a tired breath.

lucas observed the tanned male wearing a baggy sweater and sweat pants, hair unkempt and dark circles were visible under his eyes.

opening his eyes, donghyuck saw the latter was looking at him, "what?"

lucas let out a chuckle as he shook his head, "you look like a mess."

"am i suppose to say thank you?" donghyuck said mockingly.

"well, i come here just to see you.." lucas words trailed off as he played with the hem of his suit jacket, not knowing how to start the conversation regarding him and mark.

"like you said, i'm a mess," donghyuck buried his face in his palms, muffling his voice but lucas heard them clearly.

lucas's eyes softened and he scooted closer to the latter, "you remember when you offered me to tell you about my problem?"

donghyuck just nodded his head, rubbing his face in the process.

"now i can say the same to you.. you can tell me what's wrong donghyuck.."

donghyuck smiled bitterly as he looked at lucas, shrugging his shoulders, "i.. i just feel played.. betrayed? i don't know."

those beautiful orbs seemed dull and in pain. they were lifeless and lucas hated it. donghyuck that he knew was not like this. his eyes always twinkled in happiness and those lips could illuminate a dark world once he smiled. 

if despising his own best friend would bring back the old donghyuck, lucas would not have to think twice about it.

"..mark isn't it?" lucas asked softly, trying hard not to break the fragile male.

but lucas failed as tears started to well up in donghyuck's eyes, nodding lightly. his heart sting watching donghyuck like this. bringing his palm at the back of donghyuck's body, he caressed it gently.

"i thought our feelings are mutual.. but it turns out it's only me who loves him.." donghyuck sniffled. he was amazed that he still had tears left to cry after sobbing his heart out for the past few days.

lucas just kept patting his back. that was the only thing he could do to soothe the tanned male even though he wasn't sure if it made any better for him or not. at least he tried.

"how can he not love someone like me? n-not to boast but i'm--" donghyuck wiped his wet cheeks with the sleeve of his sweater and sniffed, "i'm smart, i'm cute, i'm rich and.. and you said that i'm pretty so like i'm also pretty but why.. why can't he accept my love.." and he broke into tears, again.

lucas sighed and pulled him into his chest, not wanting to see his crying face as it pained him too. it hurt him knowing the reason why mark did donghyuck dirty like that. he could just tell donghyuck now but he couldn't bear to see the latter break down more. he would wait until the right time comes.