XIII

My eyes blinked open at the first rays of sunlight that shone through the window beside the bed. In our tired state, neither Cameron or I pulled down the blinds that were draped at the top of the windows.

I glared at the curtains, might have cursed them a little in my head for waking me up this early, when I realised I didn't even know what the time was. I rolled over to face the bedside table but my phone wasn't there, and my bag was still unpacked beside the door where I'd left it when I dropped it there yesterday.

I flopped back onto the pillows and lifted my arm up to see if my watch was still on.

Bingo.

But the time that it displayed almost made me curse again.

5:00 am.

Really, sun? I thought. It's April. Why are you rising so early?

I would've tried rolling over and going back to sleep, but my body was awake and I knew there was no chance of it. I pulled back the sheets and swung my legs over the side of the bed. I was still dressed in my clothes from yesterday, which was the grey sweatshorts I'd worn on the plane and a plain white shirt that was thin and loose - perfect for this summer weather.

Not bothering to change, I opened my door and headed down the stairs towards the kitchen. Goosebumps rose on the skin of my legs as my bare foot first touched the cool floorboards downstairs.

My hair must have been a mess, I'd had it in a ponytail for most of the day yesterday and had now slept in it. One reach up to my head and I could tell that more hair was out of the ponytail that in it. I grabbed the hair tie and pulled it out, giving my head a bit of a shake to get rid of that still-in-a-ponytail look. I ran my fingers through my hair to try and smooth it out as I approached the kitchen, but I stopped short when I looked up and met the eyes of Cameron Davis.

I had no idea how long he'd been watching me. Maybe from the moment I stepped off of the stairs?

"Hey," I said, letting my hand drop from my hair. Unfortunately for me, it just fell right back in front of my face. I let out a puff of air to try and blow it out of the way but it didn't really work.

Cameron just laughed at me. "What are you doing? Here."

He stepped forward from where he'd been getting a drink of water at the sink and tucked the strand of hair behind my ear.

"Thanks," I said. And I was even more grateful when faced with the view my hair had been obscuring. Cam was wearing nothing but a pair of running shorts and his shoes, his chest and body were glistening with sweat and his dark brown hair was drooping over his face, looking even darker in its wet state.

"Why... um," I said, finding it hard to draw my eyes away from his chest and up to his face. "Why are you... looking like..." I couldn't finish my sentence and just used my hand to gesture to his body. I placed my hand over my mouth so that I could hide my growing smile, but he could see it in my eyes.

He raised an eyebrow. "Like what, Forthy?"

Oh, the teasing bastard. I met his eyes, his gaze burning into my own. Daring me to tell the truth. I couldn't do that. Not just yet.

"You know what I mean," I answered. "Like... that."

He bent a little at the waist so that we were eye to eye.

"Is that a good that or a bad that?"

"Good," I said, a bit quieter than before.

He smiled earnestly. "Good to know."