Epilogue

Adrien's POV

"You're not joking... Right?"

I opened my eyes and saw Marinette, she's about to cry...

What did I do?

"Adrien! Stop joking around! It's not funny."

My brows furrowed. What did I do this time? The last thing I remember was—

My missing staff appeared when I cataclysmed Ladybug's scythe. The Akuma left the weapon and her identity was revealed.

"Marinette..?"

Gasps filled the deafening silence and shock was registered to their faces.

I smiled before placing my lips on her forehead. No one will remember anyway.

She looked confused for a moment. I caressed her cheeks and placed my forehead to hers.

"Chat Noir..?"

A tear escaped my eye. How come I did not notice this before? Same hairstyle and hair color, those big blue eyes...

It doesn't matter. The fact that I broke her heart won't change anyway. Unless...

I sighed. "I wish the time will go back. Go back to the time when we're still together."

"Adrien?"

My train of thoughts disappeared and was back to reality.

I faced her then pulled her closer to me then I hugged her tightly.

I will never let her go again.

"Forget about what I had said earlier. Just remember one thing."

She frowned. "W-What?"

I kissed her forehead before looking at her eyes lovingly.

"I love you. I'm not pretending or anything. I love you, for real this time."

Marinette still looked confused so I smiled and sealed her lips with a kiss.

I laughed when I saw how her cheeks turned red.

"Come on, you want ice cream? I know André's ice cream cart is nearby."

She scratched the back of her head before looking up to me. "B-But, we still have class..." Marinette murmured while playing with her fingers.

She's still the same Marinette I knew, but everything about her changed when I broke up with her. I didn't break up with her for no reason but I should've explained to her nicely and clearly. She doesn't deserve that kind of closure (if you even call that a closure).

I found out Hawkmoth's real identity, turns out he's my dad. Funny, right?

A few days passed after I found out that my dad is Hawkmoth, he also discovered that I'm Chat Noir. That's the reason why Hawkmoth hadn't been active in akumatizing people. Dad was stressed out when he found out who is the guy behind Chat Noir's mask. Me.

I wasn't able to understand him in the first place, I had too many questions that were left unanswered. He kept on avoiding me, like what he always does. He said he did it for mom, so she can go back to life...

He left me dumbfounded with his question.

"If you were in my place, won't you do the same thing? Even if you run over tons of people you'll still do it anyway because it's for the woman you love." And that was the last thing he said to me. I have no idea where he is right now.

As he left the house, he started making Marinette his target. Every time he akumatizes a person, Marinette will always be in danger. And the only thing that will make him stop is to cut my connection with her.

Yes, it's my fault but do I have another choice? She's in great pain because of me while I'm suffering in deep despair because of what I've done.

I can't handle seeing her hurt but I can't handle more seeing her die.

Hawkmoth's testing me on what I'll do if he tries to kill Marinette. He's insane, he's not my father anymore. He thinks that if he can't have the love of his life, then I shouldn't too.

So I let her go.

I lied to her. That my love for her was fake and it was all an act because I love toying with other people's feelings. Which is not true.

I regretted that decision.

I kept my part of the deal but he didn't keep his. Marinette could've died from the werewolf. She was also akumatized and I'm glad that we successfully saved her.

And now? I'll protect her until my very last breath and show how much I love her in every way I can express.

I tilted my head. "You're worried about that? We're late and will always be, my lady."

Her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "'M-My lady??"

I laughed at her reaction. I guess she understood what I meant.

A figure caught my eyes, it's Luka. I think he was smiling at us?

He knew about our secrets. I must say, he's very observant. I guess not everyone in the city is blind after all.

"Let's go. You must be hungry after you cried a bucket of tears."

She rolled her eyes before pushing me a little. "I-It's because of you! I really thought it was real. You're not just a model but an actor too."

"An actor that'll keep you entertained and feel loved for the rest of your life," I smirked.

Her face is red as a tomato again. "I hate you." She pouted.

"I love you more, Marinette."

I held her hand then intertwined our fingers before reaching the school's door.

The End.

---

Thank you for reading my AdrieNette fanfiction - Pretend Love. Sorry for updating super slow and short. Also sorry for my grammar. English isn't my first language so I'm still learning.