Chapter Six - Settling In

Start from the beginning

As you touched the area around the machine, you winced in pain, your flesh still very raw from whatever operation had implanted it in the first place. You would have to ask Sombra what this thing was, but first you needed to finish getting cleaned up.

Half an hour passed, and Sombra found herself lying down on her bed absent-mindedly, browsing videos of random things on her hacking gloves. After about the fourth clip of Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, she looked up with interest as she heard the bathroom door hiss open. You walked out, covered only by a white towel which you had tied around yourself a second ago. Sombra coughed a little and looked away shyly for a moment.

"Dios Mío...uh...hmm...are you okay. Y/N?" she stuttered, quickly shaking her head and regaining her composure.

You rubbed your eyes tiredly for a moment, before looking back at her.

"Uh yeah, thanks. Hey, listen, I was in the shower and I noticed something...odd. Look at my hand and tell me what you think this is cause...I don't remember volunteering for it" you replied, holding out your left hand and turning it so that she could see the device clearly.

Sombra took hold of your hand gently and hissed in anger.

"Maldito...this is Moira's work. She's our chief scientist and...she sees human beings as test subjects more than actual people. I shouldn't worry, it's just a simple tracking device, pretty standard procedure. Does it hurt?" she replied, sounding genuinely concerned with that final question.

You paused for a moment.

"Nah, there's no pain," you lied, "but if this thing tracks my every move, it'll be difficult to make any moves against Talon. Do you know how to deactivate it?"

Sombra gave a guilty look and shook her head slowly.

"I could easily deactivate it...but then Talon would suspect us even more, maybe even have us killed just to be safe. I'm sorry they did this to you, but I'm afraid it has to stay for now" she replied, causing you to sigh in disappointment.

In your youth, you had always figured that if you were going to volunteer for cybernetics then it would be for some sort of hidden gun in your arm or something cool, not a dull tracking device. Still, you supposed it could be worse. Looking down at her, you could see the guilt in Sombra's eyes. You weren't sure if anything you could say would alleviate that, but you'd give it a go.

"Well, hey. We're in this together...I can put up with it. What's our next move?" you questioned, causing a serious look to appear on Sombra's face.

She let go of your hands and looked down for a moment, before staring up into your eyes.

"Y/N...before we go any further, I need to say something, and I want you to listen. Look...I'm not a people person. The thing I've learned from all of my hacking is that people are pendejos. I've survived here by not trusting anyone...but I don't think that'll work anymore. I'm just trying to say, give me time to trust you. I will...I promise" she explained, stuttering constantly as she tried to make her point.

But you knew exactly what she was saying. Just like her, you had been beaten and betrayed so much to the point that it was difficult to trust anybody anymore. You understood that; nobody better. The two of you didn't just share a few hobbies and interests, you were both victims, victims of a harsh and unforgiving world.

"Believe me, I understand. I've known my share of assholes and been one on occasion as well. Take all of the time you need" you answered, causing her to nod gratefully.

The mood turned silent and sullen, until you broke the quiet with a yawn that you couldn't quite hold back. Sombra smiled a little at that.

"In the morning, I'll have to explain to Gabe why you're in my quarters instead of an interrogation room, that'll be...fun. Now you need to rest, though. My clothes will all be a bit...short for you, but I do have some big ones that I snuggle in on winter nights. I'll get them for you, espera ahí" she said, walking over to her wardrobe and opening it to reveal racks of different outfits.

Most of them were, of course, purple, but there were a few alternatives. In particular you saw a red dress near the end, clearly reserved for special occasions. You imagined she looked amazing in that.

"Uh hola, Earth to Y/N. You there?" Sombra questioned, waving a hand in front of your eyes.

You snapped back to reality to see her holding a large jumper and pyjama bottoms in her hand, and gratefully accepted them.

"Sorry, I was...somewhere else. Thanks, these should do great" you said, quickly shuffling into the en-suite bathroom again to change.

When you exited the bathroom again, fully ready for a good night's sleep, you saw Sombra stood in her own pyjamas expectantly. She wore a pair of long white bottoms, tied with a purple string, and a light purple long-sleeved top with her own insignia printed onto it.

With that tired look on her face, she looked so...innocent, almost as if you could forget that she was a master hacker. You wondered if you were the only person who could see the real Sombra, who didn't just see her as a tool or a villain. She had so much more to offer the world, clearly proven by the fact she was putting her own life on the line as well to stop Talon.

"Well...Y/N...are you coming?" Sombra questioned, gesturing towards her bed with a yawn.

Your eyes widened as you flitted between her and the bed, and she couldn't help but giggle as she saw your cheeks turn red.

"Single bed...two people...I the only one seeing a problem here?" you asked, feeling foolish for blushing so much.

"Relajante...I don't bite. I can't let you sleep on a sofa after everything I've done to you to get you here. You need a proper night's sleep...come on" she replied, basically giving you an order as she pointed towards the bed.

You opened your mouth to protest, sighed, and slowly walked over to her in defeat. You stood beside the bed, and glanced over to Sombra, who once again nodded her head towards it. Slowly, you sat down and laid on the bed, shuffling over to the far side so that your back was touching the wall.

Sombra smiled in contentment, quickly clambering in beside you and moving right up to your chest. Once she'd pulled the covers over the two of you, she clicked her fingers and all of the lights in her quarters turned off, leaving you in near total darkness. Seconds passed, and you heard the rustling of covers, as well as feeling Sombra's body shuffle continuously next to yours.

"Stop fidgeting" you moaned quietly, causing her to giggle a little.

"Callaté...goodnight Y/N" she whispered in response.

"Night"

Brief Summary – Very much the calm before the storm, you take advantage of some free time to get to know Sombra as a person. The two of you instantly share a unique chemistry, and despite the fact that she kidnapped you to get you here, you quickly find yourself starting to like her.