Chapter Thirty - Announcement

"I was thinking about planting some tomatoes over in that corner and some greens and thyme over in the opposite end." Grams informed as we sat on the stairs of her deck in her backyard, looking at her new dugout garden she had completed.

"I'm glad to see you're finally putting those gardening books to use from four Christmas' ago." I giggled, taking a sip of my iced tea Grams poured me.

"Well I was watching a documentary last week on Netflix that was showing all these chemicals that they use on fruit and vegetables now. It's really scary. I just figured with a little TLC, I can get something in the garden growing by the end of summer." She blathered on.

"That's really nice Grams." I said, taking another drink and setting my glass down next to me.

"Something's going on in that head of yours. Spill it." Grams' honey brown eyes scanned my face in the knowing way she does.

I give a faint smile, "Sebastian asked me to marry him Grams."

He expression lit up as she gasped, placing both of her hands on her face. Joy, real joy.

"Oh, Renie, that's wonderful! What'd you say?"

"Yes. It was a definite yes. I can't picture anyone else comparing to him." I grinned.

"Oh, baby, this is such good news! How many people have you told?" Grams mused.

"You. Sebastian wants to announce it at his place on Saturday. He's inviting family and close friends. At first I thought I'd just wait to tell everyone at once and get it over with but I knew I'd need you to know first. I wanted this moment with you when I told you." I said, wrapping my arms around her.

"Oh, he makes you so happy, baby. I really like him too." Grams sighed.

"He makes me so happy." I giggled.

"That's so good! This definitely calls for a celebration!" Grams stood up. "I'm gonna go get my good wine!"

"Wine? Grams it's eleven o'clock." I laughed.

"It's five o'clock somewhere." She said nonchalantly.

We both laughed as we made our way back into the house.

************************************************

"Thank you all for coming today. Family and friends. I know the lot of you are curious to know why we asked you here tonight." Sebastian took a brief moment to look down at me as he wrapped his arm around my waist. This has been the night the both of us had been putting off for so long. The big announcement. Sebastian had invited our closest friends and family to our apartment to do so. "The reason is this remarkable woman here."

Gasps of realization circulated the room.

"I asked Serena to marry me and she said 'yes'. Serena and I are to be married this fall." He announced and everyone in the room clapped and cheered.

"Oh congratulations!" Ronnie squealed as she hugged her brother and I. She looked beautiful in a long, blue slip dress with her hair slicked back in a sleek bun.

"Thank you, Ronnie."  I giggled.

"You're going to make such a beautiful bride, Serena! I know this for a fact." She gushed.

"I can only imagine." Sebastian gave a crescent smirk.

"Congratulations to both of you." Wilhelmina Darkbloom made her way over to us wearing a short pearl colored sheath dress and black heels. Her dark brown hair was styled in deep waves around her strikingly beautiful face. She hugged us both and then turned around to look at her husband who was leaning against the far wall of the room. "Victor sends his congratulations as well."