Chapter Seven - Obligation

The words seemed to flow out of me and I was hesitant at first to disclose so much information about myself to Dr. Jennings, but she did state that everything in her office was confidential. As I spoke, she scrawled a few notes on her pad and analyzed my words without speaking. I briefed over my rocky start in life, Regina Kelly and the ghost of a father I barely remembered. I raved about my Grams and my brother Jason.

"Tell me more about your Grams. She's been such a guiding light for you, yes?" Dr. Jennings asks.

"I owe everything to Grams. She's been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. Even before she adopted us." I say, tracing the indents of my hand with my fingers.

"What would you say your relationship with her is like?" She takes another sip from her coffee mug.

"Well, she's my rock. She's been a maternal figure for me and she's always been supportive of my choices in life. She's kept me grounded and focused. I'm very grateful to her for that." I sigh and smile at the thought of Grams at home right now, flipping through old 'I Love Lucy' reruns and drinking a mug of coffee on her sofa.

"Sounds like you two are very close. That's wonderful." Dr Jennings smiles.

"Yes, we are." I nod.

She writes a small note on her tablet and looks back up to me with a warm smile, "Well, Serena. I'd say that concludes our session today. Though, if you don't mind, I'd love to schedule you in for a few more sessions."

"Oh." I say, simply and frown. "Um, why?"

"I feel like we've made progress today. Some things were weighing on you when you walked in and now you look visibly later, as if huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders." She says.

I did feel a little better about talking to her about things today. Maybe a couple more sessions with Dr. Jennings wouldn't be so bad.

"Okay. Well, same time next week?" I suggest.

"That sounds perfect. Next Tuesday at nine it is." Dr Jennings stands and walks me out of her office. When she opens the door, Sebastian is sitting, hunched over on his phone. Work I'd imagine. When he sees us, he stands and ends the call.

"Everything good?" Sebastian studies my face, then looks at Dr Jennings.

"Today's session was lovely. Serena, I look forward to seeing you next week, same time." She smiles and pats my shoulder.

"Yes." I smile and nod at her, then turn my face to Sebastian who is giving me a puzzled look.

"Thank you, Dr. Jennings." Sebastian says before we exit on the elevator.

"So." Sebastian says as we pass through the lobby.

"So." I echo and smile as I look up at him.

"Therapy?" He raises his eyebrows in wonder.

"It wasn't necessary. But, it was okay. We talked. I feel a bit better." I sigh.

"That's good. I want you to feel light as a feather." He scoops his giant hand in mine as we meet Domino at the car in front of the building. Domino let's the both of us into the back of the Sleek, black Range Rover and we head to my apartment.

When we reach my apartment, I'm surprised when I open the door to find Larsa's bags by the front door.

"Larsa?" I call from the front door.

"Renie!" She squeals from the kitchen.

Sebastian closes the door behind us and she rounds the corner from the kitchen. We smother each other in a bear hug.