Chapter Six Part Four

Shortly before the second-hour mark hit, my family and I  packed a few days' worths of belongings into our single donkey wagon. I thought this was too much, but my wife and daughters insisted.

"I don't see what the big deal is dad, whatever attacks we can slay it!" my son said boisterously while swinging his wooden sword.

A few days ago, I may have been as confident as my son, but then I met someone who brushed off one my best techniques like child play, and I met a golem whose speed I couldn't visually keep up with. Things were changing. 

A full two and a half hours later my family was settled into the guest quarters by the manor staff. My wife was being kept company by Mervin's wife. They became good friends over time due to the frequency they crossed paths.

I was very nervous about my son though. I was terrified of the thought of him breaking something or getting lost in this massive place.

I offered one of the knights on duty to do private lessons with him at their post in exchange for private lessons from me and he jumped at the opportunity.

Now I was in the grand meeting hall of the manor. The grand hall as it was referred to was one of the largest and more exquisitely decorated rooms in the manor. The architect of this room designed it in mind that it would likely be the place where the royal family and their bureaucrats would meet if it were to happen. Royal families tended to be very fastidious and would take great offense to being in a room that didn't meet their expectations.

The half marbled columns that sat parallel to the door were of the highest grade and a pure white that shined under the lights like a gem. The massive table sat directly in the center of the room was circular, it was purposely made this way so no one would be considered at the head of the table. A massive handcrafted crystal chandelier hung perfectly at the center of the table.

Beautiful paintings from world-renown artist sat upon the walls.

The sheer net worth of the items in this room exceeded the generational wealth accumulated by some noble families over decades.

A room that was seldom used and only certain maids were able to receive special training to simply clean it.

A meeting that was held in here was referred to as a grand gathering, this wasn't just a simple meeting. The rules of a grand gathering were very stringent. This wasn't the kind of event where nobles were able to shout over each other, and once you sat you agreed to the rules and regulation and the understanding that any breach could be met with prison time or even banishment depending on how egregious your error was.  Most people questioned whether it needed to be so strict, but the results spoke for themselves.

There were people who arrived before me, this city's Lord High Steward, Kemal Roosevelt was present citing it the chair to the left of the grand lord who was still holding that letter with two hands. Lord Roosevelt was an elderly gentleman but had a very dignified appearance. His thin and receding hair gave away his age much more than his face did. A slight build featured a stoic expression and hawk-like eyes. A beautiful gold one-piece closed robe fitting of his position hid anything he could be wearing under it. He also wore the medallion that advised his position on his neck. Not once did I catch him stealing a glance at Lord Falmouth.

Lord Roosevelt never came to the manor. He was the second most powerful man in all of Falmouth. It was his duty to ensure that there was no corruption among the nobles. He had the power to strip an entire family of their birthrights and he was rightfully one of the most feared men in the kingdom. He also had the power to force a step down of Lord Falmouth himself if he was deemed unfit for the job by his peers. However, he didn't have the power to take the chair from the Falmouth family. If Lord Falmouth was stripped of his power then the title of Grand Lord would be passed to his son. Due to his responsibilities he couldn't be seen as colluding with any nobles so he stayed at bay. I did hear rumors that he enjoy mingling with the common folks and would spend a lot of time on the streets of the slums.