Chapter Five and a Half: Nimis

Dendris was hailed as the land of demons and monsters. 

It was a lawless place where most humans and demi-human would elect not to go voluntarily. Though motivated by sins and desires many made the pilgrimage.

Humans were not fit to last long in the lands of Dendris, which is why it became the land of demons. The air is dry, the gravity is heavier, the days are hotter, and the weather is dangerous.

The nation of Dendris was divided into eight regions, seven where ran independently by demon lords. The eighth and largest region was the capital of Dendris under the direct supervision of the demon king himself.

The smallest region in Dendris was known as Nimis. Truth be told no human has ever wondered past Nimis deeper into Dendris. It was the westernmost land and bordered the nation of Falmouth.

The Region of Nimis was an unforgiving place, summers so hot it made Aziziya seem like child's play.

The land was dry and unfit for farming, so no crops would grow.

The only reason this land served was as a gathering place for monsters.

The wildlife and monsters found ways to adapt and thrive in this harsh environment. The food source for them was bountiful and kept them from escaping the borders of this place and leaking deeper into other regions of Dendris or escaping into Falmouth.

However, humans managed to find an Eden in the region of Nimis less than ten miles from Falmouth that served as a gathering place for the worst kinds of people.

Those banished from the lands they were once from for unspeakable crimes or those on the run from the three major nations.

This place became a village known as Incerem. A young boy born in Incerem to a mother who was a worker of the night and a father, who was a mage.

Being born in Incerem was a cruel fate, you are condemned to suffer in this land with the worse kind of people even though you did nothing to deserve of it.

It was a fate he accepted, it was an unspoken rule. Once you are in Incerem you may never leave.

His bloodline was tainted; the sin of his father was on his hands.

His father, from Amin, fell in love with a black tiger beastkin, which was to be married to one of the sons of the Royal family.

They ran away together from Beasteen, where he met her on a mission. His father brought the beastkin home to the village he was raised.

However, she was unwelcomed.

The beastkin his father fell in love with was an incredibly rare variant whose racial skill was able to manipulate the shadows. She used that ability to save one of the children of the village from a monster that attacked the village.

Many of the villagers seen her heroic deed, most would applaud her as a hero and thank her for saving that child's life, but she was a different race, a race they couldn't accept, so she was accused of witchcraft, which wasn't illegal, but she was a demi-human. They all wanted a reason to hate this creature his father brought back to their village.

She was such a kind and sweet hearted individual; never did she hurt a fly, she, who treated everyone with respect even though they treated her unfairly. She never complained, and still smiled at everyone who scorned her.

The next day the boy's father went hunting in hope that a large meal would help with comradery and celebrate the victory over a monster with no loss of life.

While he was away, the villagers, ravaged his home and ripped his beastkin bride from their bed as she slept.

They gaged her and tied her to a stake in the middle of the village. His father returned victorious from his hunt pulling a carriage with a large tusk boar with a grin on his face.