Chapter Three: Life In The Big City

According to Tasa the city of Falmouth, where we are heading is about twenty-three miles from our current location. In my prior world walking such a distance was considered unthinkable to most, but compared to the walk it took to get out of the forest, which seemed endless this didn't seem like such daunting task. By car, it would be about a forty minute drive, but walking would take us almost eight hours if we walked non-stop, but with Damara's physical capabilities and her being determined not to travel at night out our journey was going to be extended. It took us the day simply to make it out the forest, on our last trip in I was under a spell of some sorts, but now I was fully aware of the twelve hours including four breaks we took for Damara's health and welling being. We decided against returning to Poten village and getting an inn due to our current financial situation. Instead, we found a clearing on the edge of the forest close to the road we would be traveling tomorrow; I was my nature magic to create a small two-room hut for us to spend the night. The hut had no door to prevent any night time intruders and was pretty well hidden between the trees. I also created a few vents to let the cold night breeze keep us cool.

I thought about creating golems to carry us on the journey to shorten the time, but the golems only lasted five minutes. If I used a more advanced spell or used more mana the golems became exponentially stronger, but the duration remained the same.

Solution found- using a mana crystal from a monster to serve as the core of a golem will prevent the monster from dissipating after a period of time.

For how long?

Until it is destroyed or released by the castor. However, if the golem created is too powerful for the mana crystal it will destroy the crystal.

Make sense can't power a car with double AA batteries.

I learned from the fairy queen the item I received from the hobgoblin was its mana crystal which is the monster equivalent to a mana source. I also decided against using it for my experiment because I was almost certain it would be worth some money.

Of all my skills the appreciation I had for Tasa was immeasurable. Starting off life in a new world is a lot harder task than most would imagine, especially for someone who wasn't a boy scout. I depended on it to help me pick fruit trying to make sure nothing I ate was poisonous and which animals were best to catch and eat. It was truly a life saver.

"Hey Joten," Damara called to me from her side of the hut.

The wall between us didn't extend to the ceiling and had an opening one of us could get through in case of emergencies on the end. It was just tall enough for me to no be able to see over unless I went on my tiptoes. I want to ensure Damara had her own privacy while not feeling alone at the same time.

"What's up D?"

"You really don't mind me coming with you on your journey, do you? I know we had to take extra breaks for my sake and I don't want to be a bother."

"Don't worry about it. I would much rather do this with you by my side than alone any day. I appreciate your company if you want I could come over there and show you just how much I appreciate you if you'd like."

I expected either a cold aura to radiate through the room or a flustered response, but after a minute there was nothing.

Until she meekly mumbled under her breath "I'm not sure I am ready for you yet," with a soft adoring sigh.

I was almost certain I wasn't supposed to hear that, but my super senses never missed anything.

When morning came I decided to kill two bird with one stone. I wanted to find a monster that would serve as breakfast and also give me a sufficient mana stone for my experiments.