24. The Beginning Of The End

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"And if you guys don't trust me, let's go to the doctor. They're 24/7 these days. Let's get it tested," she said, a little calmly.

"Okay," Manik agreed.

"Manik--" I tried stopping, when his eyes met mine. They looked small, vulnerable, and crazy. Perhaps even if I trust him, he needed this confirmation for himself, so that he could trust himself.

"Inaaya, go down to my car. I'll come in a moment. My father's friend is a doctor," Manik said. She nodded, taking her bag and leaving.

I turned to him, my eyes meeting his. "Nandini--" he started, taking a deep breath, "I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry about," I confirm.

"I do," He rebels, "Maybe she's correct."

"What?" I murmur.

"Remember that lip stick mark I asked you about in the mor--afternoon?" He said and I nodded. It was just about twelve hours ago and already seemed like days. "I wasn't lying. I really did find a lipstick mark on my neck, I thought it was yours and you were kidding with me. What if it does belong to Inaaya? And I don't even remember anything about that night."

"It'll be alright," I insist, not trying to let my facade down or my nervousness show. "Whatever it is, it'll pass. I'm with you in it, okay? We're in this, together." I say. He managed to pass me a small smile.

"Should I drop you at Mukti's?" He asks, "Please don't be alone at home. With that stupid harasser out of jail and behind me, don't be alone when I'm not there. Please."

I nod, as he takes the house keys and we step out. The ride to Mukti's house was silent, I many-a-times tried looking at Manik from the rear view mirror but he wouldn't look back. He drove the car so absentmindedly that I wouldn't be surprised if some car banged into his. God forbid.

The car stopped and I realised we had reached Mukti's. I got down, looking back at Inaaya and Manik. Inaaya's eyes were glued down, and I could make out she was silently crying trying to hold in. Manik barely looked at me, tired. "I'll see you," He whispered, giving a final nod before driving off.

He didn't wait to see if I reached Mukti's house or wave from the window safely. It was a small thing, but I couldn't help noticing.

Things were changing.

Mukti wasn't at home, so her maids opened the door to me. She was visiting her father for the day until tomorrow, which immediately reminded me of Abhi, so I rang him up.

"Hey," He said, his voice full of enthusiasm and energy as if he had chugged whole bottles of caffeine and coffee. And I was worried about him driving all night. "Hi," I whispered, and noticed how crazily tired I sound.

"Babydoll, what's wrong?" He immediately recognised. I took a deep breath, telling him everything that had happened.

"See! I never liked him anyways. The way he's so tall is illegal and the way he used to look... ugh, so ugly," Abhi gritted.

"Abhi," I stopped him, almost shouting. "I and Manik... we're still together. Sort of. I mean, if we were ever together." I mumbled.

"Yeah?" He murmured, "I mean, he's not that bad, you know. He doesn't even look that bad. And he's as tall as me so it's okay, I mean."

I almost laughed, "Abhi, I know what you mean."

"But...," He said again, "If she's actually pregnant, and he'd hurt you or leave you for her, then that asshole, I'm coming and breaking his dick in a way he'd never be able to even think of making kids anymore--"