Chapter Seventeen: Ambivalence

Kylos pov

I glanced out of the window, my hands clenched at my sides. I'd be lying is I said I wasn't eager to see Aerolynn, it had been a month since we last saw each other in person and I was nervous to see what she would say to me.
I doubted she'd be happy to see me after last night when she accidentally revealed her location to me. I couldn't ignore the anger that pulsed powerfully inside of me as I thought back to what she said to me.
Her words rang clearly through my head, making me grit my teeth. Who was she to say she didn't need me, I created who she was today, without me she'd still be withering away in the hot Tatooine sun. If anything she should have been grateful that I even considered giving her a higher position in the First Order than she initially had had. I expected her to be desperate to come back, loathing the idea of being stuck with the Resistance, but instead she wanted to stay. She wanted to go against the place that gave her food, water, and shelter, a title... she wanted to go against me, regardless of the relationship I thought we had built.
"Prepare to land." The pilot said to me as he clicked a few buttons on the dashboard. I rocked back and forth on my heels, my stomach churning as we descended to the ground, but I doubted this feeling I was getting was from the turbulence.
I hated how she made me feel like I wasn't in control. I was a dark knight, I wasn't supposed to get anxious or unsettled, I was always supposed to feel in charge of my emotions... but when I was with Aerolynn it was like the complete opposite. I struggled to maintain myself when I was around her, nearly succumbing to her warm smile and bright eyes.
I stiffened when suddenly I felt someone I knew all too well approach me.
"Hux." I growled, liking the way my mask gave my voice an edge that I could see make the hairs on the back of his neck rise.
"Sir." He said, his face growing slightly red in anger, it didn't take much probing to see he was holding back from yelling a whole laundry list of curses at me. I smiled behind my mask, enjoying seeing him squirm like a bug under my boot. "We have secured the radius of Aerolynn Edina, she is near the area of a rundown castle turned canteen." He said, disgust creeping its way into his voice.
"Alright, thank you, general." I said, he gave me a curt not before walking off brisky, muttering something under his breath, in most cases I would have hurled him against the wall for the use of such vulgar language towards me, but today I wasn't focused on him.
We landed our ships in a clearing in the forest around a half mile from where Aerolynn apparently was. According to some witnesses her and that scavenger girl... Rey had entered the canteen together, both in dark brown cloaks to conceal who they were.
Suddenly, something shook the ship and made the lights flicker. Along with it came a bright blue glow that left me disoriented, but it left as quickly as it had came. Once I could see again and had regained my composure I looked around, everyone was starting to stand collecting themselves.
"What was that?" I asked.
"Some type of electric force, it wiped us clean of energy for a second." A lieutenant said, I glanced out the window, my breathing quickening. Aerolynn.
Right as I stepped off the ship I could feel her, her presence seemed to slam into me, leaving me slightly breathless, along with her I could also feel a strong force user close by, that I knew had to be Rey, I clenched my jaw tightly behind my mask.
Over the sound of our TIE fighters flying through the air I barked orders at the troops, telling them to swarm the area and to find Aerolynn Edina and Rey of Jakku, and to leave them both unharmed.
I was about to walk forward with the troops when suddenly I felt a pulse in the force. It was my connection, with Aerolynn, she was in the forest, only a quarter of a mile away. I walked west, brandishing my saber and cutting away at hanging branches and vines that were in my path.
As I walked closer I could feel her presence strengthening, it wrapped around me, urging me to quicken my pace.
After what felt like an eternity I had finally broke through the dense trees and into a slight clearing and I could see her. She was hunched over something, weeping, I could hear her sobs clearly, and they made me flinch, and my chest ache.
I tried to creep up on her, pulling out the power-restraining cuffs that were clipped to my belt. I didn't want to use the force on her just yet. But then a twig snapped under my boot, I sucked in a breath as she turned around quickly.
Her eyes widened at the sight of me, and mine did the same. She was pale, her eyes which were normally a light brown were now glowing a neon blue, and the veins under her skin were too. Her lips parted in surprise and she whipped back around, grabbing Rey's lightsaber clumsily and holding it out in front of her, igniting it, the bright blue matching the glow in her eyes and usually tan skin.
"Stop it Aerolynn." I said, taking a step closer to her, "Give in to me. I have you now, you lost. Now, deactivate the saber, and put your hands out so that I can cuff you." She shook her head, her hair falling into her face. She was a mess, her face was dirty, her hair full of twigs and grass. And she looked weak, she was stumbling on her feet, I was sure that that electric field she let out took too much out of her than she could handle. I glanced behind her and saw that she had been crying over an unconscious Rey, something twinged inside of me, concern maybe? But I ignored it, instead focusing on Aerolynn.
Anger flared up inside of me at her defiance, and I twirled my saber in my hands. "Then so be it." I said, before swinging my saber at her. Her reaction was delayed and she nearly let it hit her, she then sloppily went to slash at me, but I easily dodged it and kicked at her leg, and she let out a whimper, falling. I felt something stir in my chest, guilt, but I was too angry to care.
She stumbled onto her feet and held the saber out in front of her. I winced at her stance, it was as if I had taught her nothing. She hovered above Rey protecting her, a defiant glimmer in her eye.
"You're protecting the scavenger girl, really?" I whipped my saber at her abdomen, she stepped back but it wasn't quick enough because I got a cut at her shirt, ripping it open and revealing her toned stomach.
"Shut up." She grumbled, teetering on her feet, her face had paled considerably and she looked like she was about to collapse.
"Aerolynn?" I asked, taking a step closer, all my anger now dissolved. She opened her mouth to say something, but then she was falling forward, her eyes drifting closed. I quickly caught her, pulling her into my arms. I grabbed the now deactivated saber and clipped it onto my belt, next to my own. Aerolynns eyes eyes were now open, void of any blue color, gazed up at me, I cleared my throat, glancing up at the stormtroopers that had come into the small clearing.
"I have her." I said, "grab the other girl. Lets go." I then started to walk back to the ship, carrying the seemingly weightless Aerolynn who was now half-conscious but still managing to weakly push at my chest.
I let out a frustrated sigh, my heart aching, I put my hand on her forehead, I knew how much she hated when I rendered her unconscious but at that point I just wanted her calm. I gently tucked a piece of hair behind her ear
"Sleep." I said, and she immediately went limp in my arms, her small attempt at a fight extinguished.
I held her closer to my chest, not wanting any space between us. I had let her out of my grasp once and I didn't intend for it to happen again. I glanced down at her sleeping form, enjoying the look of serenity on her face, for once her eyebrows weren't scrunched together, and she didn't have that scrutinizing look on her face. She looked younger, happier.
Hux strutted up to me, regardless of the battle raging around him he appeared to be spotless, his hair still perfectly combed to the side, his hair seemed to defy physics the way it always stayed in place...
"Sir, we have located two rebel ships close by, they're looking for the girls." He said, tugging at his collar, I doubted he was comfortable in his tight restricting uniform, even I was starting to get flustered in the humid climate.
"We should jump to lightspeed as soon as possible, we have what we need." I said, ascending the ramp and going into the ship. I ignored Hux's calls behind me, continuing to walk forward, the last thing I needed was to deal with that little orange weasel.
I went to my own private chambers inside the ship, placing Aerolynn down on the small bed. I didn't care what they were doing to Rey as long as she wasn't a problem. I sat on the edge of the bed, taking my mask off and looking at Aerolynn without the confined view of my helmet.
I looked down at her sleeping form, she sighed happily and moved closer to me, resting her head on my knee. I flinched at the contact, my breath hitching in my throat.
I stared down at her, taking advantage of her unconsciousness to get a good look at her. Her hair was still covered in twigs but flowed down her shoulders like a dark waterfall, her skin was more tan than what I remembered it to be, and she had a slight pink hue to her cheeks, she also seemed to have gained muscle too from being at the Resistance.
I stroked my gloved hand over her cheekbone, watching the way her eyes moved rapidly behind her eyelids. She scrunched her eyebrows together and whimpered slightly, her lips pursing together. She was having a nightmare, that same concerned feeling came back, and before I could stop myself I was already entering her mind, desperate to see what was giving her such uneasiness.