Chapter Twenty Four

Começar do início

So I let the dreams fade and wash away with the water that poured off my body down the drain, and let my mind wander freely over activities we could do today. A life in hiding wasn't fun, but at least I was able to spend time with the man I had growing feelings for.

I changed quickly into a thin floor length dress that Loki had bought me a week previously. It was a pale blue, and shimmered as the sunlight caught it. Summer was slowly approaching, and as the weather warmed up it became clear it was only to get hotter. Growing up in England meant I wasn't used to the intensity of the warmth, but the thin fabrics were breathable and let me slowly adjust to the climate.

Both Sif and Thor had supplied me with hair ties so I could keep my hair off the back of my neck, which I appreciated greatly, as I was finding Loki liked kissing my neck. I gathered the black curls into a loose plait and paired it with my signature jewellery, the black bracelet and necklace encrusted with emeralds and shining green stones.

I heard Maria leave as the door clicked shut, and I found Loki sprawled across the sofa with his head resting on the arm of the chair. "Do you want some breakfast?"

"What is it?" I walked around the room, and took a seat on the edge of the sofa next to his. The tray on the table was laden with breads and fruit, and a sparkling drink filled the bottle next to two empty glasses.

"The usual." Loki picked himself up and helped himself to a bit of everything, pouring one glass to the rim before sipping it. I watched as he slowly ate through his plate of food, and let my eyes drift out the window to the already strong sunlight.

"What are you thinking about?" Loki asked.

I stayed quiet, picking at my food. Deciding that now wasn't an ideal time to vocalise my worries of our possible future together, I shrugged the thoughts away and smiled at him. "Nothing. How's the breakfast?"

"Why aren't you eating?" He narrowed his eyes at me, staring me down until I reached out and poured a glass of the sparkling drink. "Dahlia?"

"I'm just not that hungry this morning. Though the fruit looks nice, I'll have a bit." 

He gave me an odd look, but nodded and left me to quietly eat through a small selection of the fruits whilst he collected a pile of paperwork regarding the numbers in the growing army.

I wandered around the rooms once I'd eaten, picking up the odd trinket and sliding some of the heavy books off the shelves stacked against the wall. Unlike old books in libraries on earth that spread dust as the pages fell open, these books didn't fill the air with the old dust. They looked ancient, but the pages were sturdy and thicker than I expected it to be.

"What time is it?" Loki appeared by my side as I pushed a book back on the wall.

"Soon be lunchtime," I answered, reaching up to slide another book from the shelf. Something looked familiar and I stared as Loki started mumbling about being hungry. Embossed in gold on the leather bound cover was the title of a book I used to own back at home.

Loki's hands slid around my waist as he tucked his chin over my shoulder, causing his hair to rise and sit in my face.

"Loki?"

He replied by pressing a kiss to exposed skin at the top of my dress, his arms tightening to wrap around my waist.

"Where did you get this?"

"Get what?" He looked up and glanced at the book in my hand. "Oh, the fairytales. Thor bought it on his last trip to Midgard and said I might like to read it as studies into their culture."

"You studied these?" I turned around in his arms, leaning back a little so I could see his face properly.

He nodded, "its odd how much suffering is in them considering you tell them to young children."