Chapter 65- Defending

Start from the beginning

"Uncle Bahati, please come in."

His reply was a chuckle as he stepped forward some more and replied.

"I already am inside, small Cullag."

"U-Uncle!" she yelled out her face becoming seemingly embarrassed.

Hiromichi only glanced in great confusion between both of them.

The two of them seemed to be family members. However, Hiromichi had never seen him around, so they must not be from the same tribe despite their familiarity.

"What the hell is a Cullag?"

Bahati gave a warm laughter leaving Tenaya somewhat disdained.

"You must be one of the outsiders, but by your scent I can smell you are like one of us,a Beast Tamer."

"Heh, that's right!"

"Still, you are but a pup."

"Tch, another one! I can outclass any of you in a second without much trouble you know!"

Tenaya looked at Hiromichi in horror but was quickly thrown back once more by another laughter by Bahati.

"This one has a bite! Alright, allow me to instruct you in what a Cullag is young pup. A Cullag is a small red beast, resembling a toad. Unlike a toad though, it's back is covered in flames, and are easy to anger. They blow up in a small fiery explosion if provoked or approached, peculiar little creatures."

"Huh...so you're saying she's a hothead?"

Bahati laughed once more as Tenaya only raised herself onto her feet and yelled out in the most high-pitched voice Hiromichi had ever heard her speak.

"T-that's enough Uncle please! W-where are the rest of the Chiefs?"

He immediately stopped laughing, his face growing ever darker.

"That...let us sit down and converse first."

Tenaya had a bad feeling about this but she simply nodded her head and returned back to her original sitting positon.

Bahati followed short as he sat down a few feet across both of them. He cleared his throat and raised his eyes towards Tenaya.

"The Chief's of the other tribes have refused to step foot into your territory."

"W-what, for what reason?!"

"They fear the curse that causes Talbadak to bring his wrath will stick to them if they were to enter your tribe."

"T-that's silly! The curse is not a real thing, Uncle-"

He raised his hand which instantly made Tenaya grow silent. Despite her position as Chief of this tribe, she still felt like a small kid at this moment, about to be scolded by a family member.

"I do not believe so either, however, I cannot afford to be by your side."

"Be...by my side?"

Bahati sighed, his eyes wandered over to the ground in front of him as his raspy voice sadly continued.

"Your father was a great Chief. He lead its people through the crisis of the seventeen Mongers back in the Regions of Inzar. He helped those who were thrown out from their own tribe when the Great Qualm forced Beast Tamers to lose their abilities...perhaps because of his helpful nature, you have taken in these outsiders and offered them a hand. This, however has brought great anger from the rest of the tribes, and even as we speak they've mobilized their finest troops to eliminate the threat."

Tenaya once more stood up and looked down at her uncle whose eyes would not meet hers.

"B-but, there's no need to do such a thing! Talbadak's rage over the people of this land has nothing to do with the outsiders!"

"Are you sure about this?"

"I-" she said hesitantly. "Yes, I've known them for a small time but I'm sure their presence is not the reason."

"Then what other reason could there be?"

Tenaya glanced around trying to find an answer as she gritted her teeth.

Bahati only closed his eyes and stood up.

"If you were to hand over the outsiders, the other Chiefs might find it in their judgement to spare the tribe."

"Uncle you can't really be behind this!"

"I am not, as my niece I cannot bare to wield my weapon against my brother's tribe and its now Chief. Still, I cannot side with you either and put my own tribe in jeopardy against the overwhelming forces. The only thing I can do for you and my tribe is to step aside. They have deemed this an acceptable choice."

Bahati turned his back on Tenaya whose eyes seemed to plead with him as he began walking out.

"I am sorry this was a short and unwelcoming visit little Cullag. They have given you but a few hours to make up your mind. They are mobilizing towards you as we speak and will soon have the tribe surrounded. Their will be no survivors if you allow this to happen."

The last they saw from Bahati was him glancing back towards Hiromichi as he spoke.

"I can see your strength, protect my little one for me, young pup."

Hiromichi remained silent as he observed him walk away.

Tenaya collapsed onto her feet as she looked at the ground in a moment of despair.

Hiromichi on the other hand snickers and grinned.

"That was your defense? Damn you suck at this Chief stuff!"