Love at First Like

My alarm blared "Riptide" by Vance Joy played on the ukulele. It was six A.M. I was, surprisingly, ready for the day as I looked outside to the sunrise. I took a photo and posted it on my snap with the caption "hmu." I am truly a god.

I tied my messy hair up in a bun with my favorite yellow scrunchie. As I grabbed my makeup bag and sat at my desk, I took out my favorite vinyl (Flower Boy by Tyler, the Creator) and started to get to work. I slathered Glossier's cloud paint on my nose and wondered if I would be questioned about my allergies. After I was satisfied with my blush, I drew a heart under my eye with my Nyx eyeliner. I stole it from CVS after Mother said that it was too grown up for me. I felt...rebellious. It was a good feeling.

Looking over at my clock, I realized that I would miss my bus if I didn't get ready quicker. I guess I spent too long on the blush. I threw on a striped shirt, and over it, my favorite t-shirt. It's from a really vintage show, no one really knows about it because it has a lot of intellectual humor--like Rick and Morty, you could say. My Dunder Mifflin t-shirt seemed to glow with the aura of quirky that I strived for every morning.

I ran out the door with my checkered vans slamming on the sidewalk. In case you were wondering, Mother doesn't feed us on weekdays.

Sprinting to the bus, I made it in and sat down in the back. It was pretty nice being alone, because no one really listens to what I do. I put in my airpods and hit play on Bad Guy by Billie Eilish. While I was quietly dancing, I noticed a boy staring at me. I immediately looked away and tried to open the window so I could jump out. The bus driver told me to sit my ass down and I felt my face get extremely red. My blush probably looked like exposed muscle at this point hehe.

"Y/N?" The boy called. How did he even know my name?

"Uh, yea?" I thought to myself and wondered if I knew him.

"I saw you um, dancing earlier. That was actually pretty cute." I almost fell out of my seat as the bus hit a bump. My jaw dropped and I quickly turned my gaping mouth into a smile.

"And I oop--" I stuttered out. I had nothing else to say. I tried to turn around but I dropped my phone and my airpods disconnected. Bad Guy was playing at full volume and the entire bus turned to look at me.

"I'm sorry guys, I'm sorry I'm so quirky!" I picked up my phone but the boy grabbed my hand before I could fully pick it up. He took my phone and looked at my playlist.

"No way, you listen to Billie? She's so underground I didn't think anyone else knew about her." He laughed.

I heard a voice from the front of the bus.

"Everyone knows about her, Noen!"

I chose to ignore the haters and applied another coat of Glossier's balm dot com. I looked him in the eyes for the first time and noticed how gorgeous he was. His blue hair was almost shining in the early morning sun and I noticed, finally--he was quirky like me too.

Right then, I felt a connection. Maybe this was destiny.