Chapter 17 ~ This is war!

Chapter 17

With Ryner’s guidance you managed to arrive at sports class early. He had left you outside the big blue double doors that lead to the gymnasium. You took a deep breath and pushed open the doors and gaped in awe at the giant room before you. There were four basketball court’s completely empty except for one man in the middle who was dressed in yellow with his orange hair gelled straight up. He looked up from the trolley of basketball’s he was pushing when he noticed your entrance.

“Hi you must be the new student ya?” the man placed down the basketball he had tucked under his arm and started walking toward you.

“Yeah I’m -------, it’s nice to meet you,” You took a few steps toward him too with your hand out stretched. The man took your hand in a firm grip and shook it.

“I’m ya sports coach for this semester, the names Wakka,” he smiled. As he let go of your hand you noticed him looking you up and down, sizing you up. “You ever blitz?” he asked.

“Blitz?” you raised a quizzical brow.

“You know blitzball, you ever play,” he asked a little more enthusiastically. Having lived in Spira all those years you knew what he was talking about. Blitzball was Spira’s national sport, everyone knew that but you yourself weren’t particularly a fan. Not that you didn’t enjoy watching it, it’s just you’d never had any desire to play.

“Nah, I’ve seen a few games though,” you offered a polite smile.

“Oh, I was just thinking that you lived in Bevelle with Sir Auron right? So I thought maybe you mighta played,” he looked a little disappointed.

“Sorry,” you gave an apologetic grin not quite sure why you were apologizing or why Wakka was even looking for a Blitz player. With that the door swung open and you turned to see Tidus strolling in.

“-------, you’re already here?” Tidus said with a look of surprise as he rushed over to join the two of you. “What are you talking about?” he asked.

“I was just tryin’ to recruit a new member for the team,” Wakka smiled.

“You Blitz -----?” Tidus’ eyebrows rose in surprise.

“No sorry, I only watch,” you replied.

“Too bad… after last year’s graduates left we’re short on players,” Tidus explained.

“Oh so you play blitzball then?” you asked.

“Does he play blitzball?” Wakka gained an over enthusiastic tone “This guy could be his own team! He doesn’t just play for the school team but he’s the star of our team back home, the Besaid Aurochs. He’s gonna be one a the greats someday!” Wakka praised.

“What do you mean someday?” Tidus smirked pumping a fist in the air.