Chapter 37 ~ Time to Investigate!

Chapter 37

"What happened to this world?" Tifa gasped as the five of you stared into the horror.

"I've never seen anything like this before," Yep, this was definitely new for you.

"I can't believe this," Cloud managed to break through the initial shock and was the first to step forward. The rest of you all followed after him slowly. All feeling the need to investigate and want to flee the immediate area.

Looking around you saw more and more coffins. In the middle of the street, on the side walk, through coffee shop windows, they were everywhere. Cloud walked over to one and tried to open it.

"It's jammed shut," He strained trying to pry it open.

"------ look over here," you turned to Zexion's call. "That building looks rather out of place." Your gaze followed his finger stopping on a monstrosity of a building, spiralling out high above the top of the surrounding city. The building was a mess of varying architecture styles all dropped on top of each other and tangled together.

"Let's take a closer look," you told him as you waved the others over. You reached into the bag over your shoulder and pulled out the communicators Kurosaki had given you. "I don't know what we're going to find out there or what's going to find us but with these we'll be able to keep in contact no matter what." You explained as you handed them out. After everyone had finished putting one on, you all headed off in the direction of the tower.

The rest of the city was much the same. You secretly fed out waves of your dark magic trying to locate anything dangerous nearby but with all the dark energy in the air nothing stood out amongst it.

"This place is freaky." Ventus breathed as he spun around taking the city in once more. He paused mid spin and tilted his head to the side like he was listening for something. "Hey guys! I hear something coming from over here," he exclaimed in excitement as he took off down a side street. The rest of you followed behind as Ventus dived around corners and jetted down streets. As you continued a low rumbling sound caught in your ears. You picked up pace, now following the sound and flew around a corner just in time to see a motor bikes tail lights retreating into the distance.

"Follow it!" you ordered as you began chasing after it too. You were just about to cast haste when in the blink of an eye, the world flickered to life around you.

The eerie green glow had lifted, the streets clean of any blood and the coffins were replaced with – people. Oblivious people, people going about their life as if they had never stopped.

"What the hell is going on with this world!" you exclaimed completely shocked by the bustling city.

"It's gone," Tifa gasped behind you.

"What's gone?" you spun around to face her.

"The tower's vanished." Your head flicked back in the direction of the tower only to be greeted by an empty space. You also noted the alleviation of the dark presence around you. You felt it pull back past you as if it was pulling back to one point like someone had pulled the plug and it was pouring back down the drain. You started off in a dash after it. You had to move fast or you'd lose the trail.

"Wait up ------, where are you going?" Ventus called as he chased after you with the others in toe.

"I- I can find the source," you called back to him. "But I'm losing it, we've got to move fast!" you weaved through the crowed at lightning speeds chasing after the fleeting sense of darkness. Zexion was quick to catch up to you, running in step like he knew where you were going to turn before you took the step. The closer you got to the darkness the fewer people littered the streets. Eventually you left the city lights behind you and hit the pavement. The now white moon light shone through the surrounding trees barely illuminating the path in front of you. You scarcely managed to stop in time a hand shooting out to grab the metal bars blocking your path. You looked up at the metal gate blocking your way before turning back to your team, who were skidding to a stop behind you.