Chapter one ~ I'm not going nowhere

Chapter 1

You were a little shaken after this morning’s dream. You hated it when you remembered your past. Well when you remembered what you could of it. You had absolutely no memory of your life before you were six. Your earliest memory was of the dream you just had and life wasn’t all sun shine and roses after that. Not even close. You were forcibly taken in by a brute of a man. His name was Luxord and to this day you still despise him with a fiery passion. You were held captive by him for four years by a binding magic that would not allow you more than fifty metres away from the magic circle carved in your run down Midgar apartment which gave you just enough leeway to get to the corner shop and back. If by chance you were to step outside your fifty metre radius, unbearable electric pulses would be sent throughout your body. Unfortunately that did happen on occasion. Access to that store was very important to your survival as Luxord had a habit of disappearing for months at a time. Every time he returned from his ‘business trips’ or as you liked to call them, failed gambling matches, he would be reeking of booze and trailing thousands of dollars in debt, of which you were left to deal with. At the age of eight no one could beat you at poker. You were a champion, though you never got to see any of the money as it would either go towards covering Luxord’s many debts or he would simply take it to fund his next ‘business venture’. Your only saving grace was the book store that opened up just within your fifty metre radius. Whenever you had spare cash you would go and buy books on magic and the art of combat. Whenever Luxord was out of town you would spend your days practicing magical arts and studying up on combat training. Who said you couldn’t learn how to fight from a book? Cause you sure as hell did. You took to magic like a chocobo on a grassy plain. Your talents stemmed from dark magic and you specialized in shadow manipulation. Sadly dark magic, commonly known as demonic magic, is majorly frowned upon in today’s society and by majorly frowned upon you mean use of will lead to your imminent death. Oh well, you can easily use elemental magic as well though for some reason white magic has never really been your thing. You have discovered ways to heal yourself via shadow manipulation however it is nowhere near as peaceful as white magic. In fact it hurts like hell. Anyway, at the age of ten you were fed up with your confined lifestyle and finally learned how to overpower the binding spell with your own magic. You spent a year making a living by sneakily taking quests as people under the age of 18 were not legally allowed to accept quests. When that failed you could always count on your legendary gambling skills. It was on your eleventh birthday that the war started. That is ‘the great mage war’. Many dark mage’s were angered by the laws against dark magic use as most mage’s could only use one style of magic so the majority of dark mages took up arms against the government. You personally couldn’t care less. That was until you found out the dark mage’s were using their powers to destroy whole towns, killing millions. One day during your travels you stumbled upon a battle between the two sides. You remember a whimpering child huddling in the cold and that’s when you decided. This war had to end. You began fighting against the dark mage’s at first you hid your dark magic but soon you were discovered. Much to your surprise the government didn’t care as long as you were on their side. With your dark magic you wiped out hordes of dark mages. Too many to count. You did many things during that war, a lot of things you weren’t proud of. You were dubbed a few different titles like ‘the council’s demon’, ‘Angel of Death’ and ‘executioner’. Many rumours spread claiming you were a ‘demon’ or even ‘death’ itself. But you didn’t mind… much. When the war was over the government Council decided to sweep your existence under the rug. Dark magic was once again banned. The council decided to put a sealing spell on your magic. Preventing your use of black magic however to you that was easily broken. Though you weren’t about to make the council aware of that. Soon your war reputation turned into rumour and then faded to legend. There was one good thing that came out of the war and that was you finally had a home. Auron, a man you had fought alongside of during ‘the great mage war’ offered you a place to live and for the past three years you have been living together in a house on the outskirts of Bevelle. Life is more peaceful, happier but you are still haunted by memories of your bloodstained past.