Chapter nine ~ Quite the Experiment!

Chapter 9

“Wow,” You gapped as you entered the classroom. This was the first lab you had ever seen and it was pretty spectacular. The room was scattered with desks and stools while the walls were covered in endless cabinets filled with all kinds of vials in all shapes, size and colour. There was a pile of green goo sitting on the teacher’s desk occasionally puffing out a cloud of orange smoke. “It’s so sciencey” you continued taking in the room as Genesis and Zexion lead you over to a four person desk.

“Science rooms generally are,” Zexion eyed you not understanding what you were so excited about.

“I’ve never been in a science lab before,” you explained taking your seat.

“Seriously?” Zexion raised an eyebrow in disbelief. “Where did you grow up?”

“Oh… I’ve moved around a lot,” You rubbed the back of your head sheepishly hoping Zexion wouldn’t press further.

“Did your parents move around for work a lot?” Zexion continued as Genesis started to pay attention to your little conversation.

“No… I don’t really have parents,” You didn’t want to lie to them but you couldn’t exactly tell the truth either.

“I’m so sorry -------,” Zexion looked at you concern filling his eyes.

“Hey its fine you didn’t know,” You tried to convince him you weren’t bothered but you could tell he was still sorry for you. You didn’t like it when people started to feel sorry for you. You didn’t need others to worry, you could take care of yourself just fine. “Seriously don’t worry about it until just recently I was living with Auron, the new history teacher. That’s why I came here, he got the job offer and we moved.” You briefly explained your more immediate history, but they didn’t need to know that.

“So you grew up living with Auron?” Genesis asked.

“Yeah,” you responded not enjoying the fact you were kind of lying.

“Just you and Auron?” Genesis pressed. From his expression you could sense that he was not happy about something.

“…Yeah,” you replied hesitantly as his features began to darken.

“You lived alone with a man?” Genesis appeared to be getting a little worked up. Like he was jealous or something. Nah he couldn’t be, you shook the thought from your head but before you had a chance to respond the classroom door burst open and a man on a wheelie chair came flying into the room stopping inhumanly suddenly in front of the teacher’s desk. He wore a white patched up lab coat and had what looked like a giant bolt going through his head which he slowly turned in his hand as he stared out across the class. Looking around you were the only one stunned by the man’s ridiculous entrance.

“Welcome class, to another year of General science,” The man stated as he continued to turn the bolt until he appeared to have properly adjusted it focusing his gaze on you. He stood up out of his chair and walked directly to you. “Well aren’t you an interesting specimen,” He towered over you looking you up and down. “I am professor Franken Stein,” He held out a hand.