Chapter 26 ~ Cryptic Cats and Run away Rabbits!

Chapter 26

“Where are we going?” Zack whined. The four of you had been trudging through the forest for a good few hours with no success on the cat front.

“Look I’ve been keeping track of the path we’ve taken so we can head back if we need to. While it’s still light out we should keep looking,” You told him. You were in a bit of a grumpy mood yourself, annoyed that it was taking so long.

“Stop it,” Axel glared at Zack to which Zack responded with a ‘stop what’ look.

“We don’t even know what this cat looks like. For all we know we could have passed it,” Gray pointed out.

“I would have noticed it,” you replied knowing your sixth-shadowy-sense would have picked something up.

“How?” Gray pressed.

“I just would have.”

“Would you quit it already,” Axel growled shoving Zack who was walking next to him.

“Quit what? I’m not doing anything,” Zack yelled as he stumbled back a few steps.

“Quit rubbing my leg. It’s creepy. I’m not interested!” Axel complained. Everyone shot Zack a weird look.

“I wasn’t doing anything!” Zack argued throwing his hands up in defence.

“Really then what was- ahh!” Axel yelped as he jumped back at nothing. “It happened again” he fussed.

“Well it clearly wasn’t me,” Zack said gesturing to all the space between them.

“Then what was it?” you chimed in wondering whether Axel was going mad or something had slipped past your senses.

“Perhaps it was me,” a whimsical voice came from up in the trees. The four of you jumped and looked up to see a giant purple cat hanging off a tree branch by its tail. “Although if you can’t see something can you ever be sure it’s true?” the cat questioned.

“Dude, did that cat just talk?” Zack tugged Axel’s sleeve.

“I-ah… I… think so,” Axel stammered in response.

“You’re not really there,” you said to the cat, completely shaken. The darkness had a way of allowing you to sense everything, absolutely everything but you were getting nothing from this cat.

“So do your eyes deceive you, or does your black heart?” the cat hissed, vanishing before your eyes just to appear right in front of you, a wicked grin plastered to its face.

“You can hear me, see me, touch me, I bet you can even smell me,” its tail waved in front of your nose before it vanished once more. “Is it so terrifying to rely on your other senses to seek out truth.” Its voice rang through the air coming from nowhere in particular.