"I have every faith in them too."

Guilt courses through her as she realised that she was failing them. Even now she was failing them by letting them think they stood a chance at breaking the curse. Of course she believed that her crew were capable of finding the chest and the key, but she knew they would never find them and complete the ritual before the twenty hours were up.

Untangling herself from James, she picked up her sword and challenged him to a duel. If she only had 20 hours of freedom left, she would make the most of it by doing the things she loved.

________________________________

As the air turned slightly colder and the sun began sinking, the tension began to ease off slightly as the crew huddled around their Captain. Dinner had long been cleared away but the eight Vampyres remaining couldn't find themselves to leave her side. Even after Lucien clambered aboard and settled himself next to her, slinging an arm around her midsection and pulling her into his side.

Only five hours remained until the deadline, and whilst the search parties had yet to return, nobody brought it up. Instead, spirits remained high aboard The Crimson Rose.

James was twirling Jordyn around the deck and Lyria tried to stop Lucien attacking him whilst trying to contain her amusement. Even Caleb had stopped sulking for a moment and was engaged in deep conversation with Mikhail. When he made eye contact with Lyria, his eyes didn't light up with warmth but at least he was no longer glaring at her.

"Do you plan on making an honest man out of our James then?" Lyria teased Jordyn when Lucien was preoccupied and out of earshot.

The unmistakable blush that formed on the girl's cheeks was enough to have Lyria dissolving into a fit of giggles, which she tried to mask with her hand. Through her embarrasssment, Jordyn also burst into laughter.

"He is a rather handsome man - uh, Vampyre." Jordyn admitted, stumbling over her words as she remembered James' true nature.

"Would his species put a hinderance on your willingness to fall for him?" Lyria asked curiously.

Looking into the older woman's eyes, Jordyn tried to decipher whether the glint in them was slight anger or sadness. Somehow, she got the feeling it was the latter. After getting to know the Vampyre Captain, Jordyn had come to realise that no matter her mood, Lyria's eyes were always heavy with emotion. How could they not be after how long she had lived? After all she had seen?

"I always visioned myself having children of my own one day. Maybe some things are not meant to be." Jordyn fiddled with her fingers, refusing to meet the heavy gaze belonging to the woman who had captured her brother's heart.

"I always wanted to be a mother. To love my child and allow them to make the decisions my father never let me make. Unfortunately, I am no longer able to reproduce." Lyria's smile was wistful but she quickly brushed it off. Jordyn had the feeling it was something Lyria did often.
"If children is a wish of yours, do not let it slip past your grasp before it is too late. I love James but I wish for you to be happy also. Sometimes the decisions that are best for you, are always the hardest."

"You knew that the curse would never be broken in time, did you not?"

Lyria nodded, swallowing back the tears.
"You are highly observant."

"No, I am not. I am just willing to notice the things that others wish to ignore. Surely the great Lyria Blackwood has another trick up her sleeve?"

Instead of answering, Lyria walked away but not before winking at Jordyn with a strangle twinkle in her eyes. Jordyn knew that, by the time the sun began to rise, Lyria would once again shock them all.

________________________________

Despite ordering her crew to get some rest, and watching as Lucien quickly fell into slumber, sleep did not come to the Vampyre who watched as the three hours passed her by.

Staring at the sea, she wondered if the place she called home would become her enemy once she started working aboard The Flying Dutchman. Watching as the small waves crashed against the bulk of the ship, Lyria blinked away the sudden burst of light as the sun began its ascent.

Bottom lip trembling as the waves broke and the sea parted, she watched in mute terror as the seaweed, barnacle decorated ship appeared on the sea.

Strapping on her weapons, and placing on her 'Captain face' (as James called it), she woke Lucien with a sweet kiss.
Panic crossed his face, and trickled down the bond, before he slammed the door shut on his fear and followed her onto the deck where the remainder of her crew had already gathered.

Passing Elijah, Jonathan, Rufus, Zachariah, Maria, and Esmeralda, she tried to give them a reassuring grin. But, she couldn't bring herself to even look at Second and Third.

Especially not as the loud footsteps of Davy Jones thundered across the deck.
"Captain Blackwood, you have failed to break the curse and so I demand you fulfil, your end of the bargain."

James scoffed behind her but she ignored him. With nerves of steel, she turned to face the man with eyes full of nightmares, and greeted him with a voice of confidence.

"I promise that my crew will never harm you or yours, and I will come with you for one hundred years of servitude."

As she said those words, Caleb shouldered past her, shoving her into James' awaiting arms.

"What the hell are you two doing?"

James made a 'shh' motion before passing his Captain over to Jonathan and sauntering up to stand by his brother's side. To prevent her from storming up to the two idiots, Jonathan wrapped his muscular arms around Lyria and held her tight. Apparently, her whole idiot crew had formed some sort of plan behind her back.

"I am afraid to inform you but you may not have our Captain."

"Your Captain will fulfill her end of the bargain or face the consequences, Boy." Davy Jones spat, eyes burning with hate as he started down at Caleb.

The sound of two swords being unsheathed rang through the morning air.

"I do not like to repeat myself but I will. You. May. Not. Have. Our. Captain." Caleb seethed, before letting out a battle cry and charging at the Reaper of the Sea.