~ THREE ~

Metal upon metal rang throughout the cool air as sword met sword

Metal upon metal rang throughout the cool air as sword met sword. Hollers joined the sounds of sword fighting as a crowd gathered on the deck to watch the two masters of death.
The Vampyres were struggling to see where one person started and the other ended as they twirled and slashed with inhuman speed. One unlucky Vampyre had narrowly avoided being impaled by Caleb's sword as Lyria ducked away from his attack.

"Gut him!" James howled, his laughter booming across the deck.

No one could beat Lyria; she had more experience with a sword and being the oldest gave her an advantage in strength. However, she made sure to train with every member of her crew, to improve their skills and just to bond with them.

Caleb feinted left but twisted right and struck - meeting nothing but air. Lyria was already gone. Whipping around, Caleb searched frantically for her but if the crew were shielding her, they made no movement to indicate so. Something sharp dug into his back, and if pushed in, it would enter his heart.

"Check mate." Lyria whispered in his ear, her voice as smooth as silk sent shivers down his spine, and he twisted so that her sword was pointed at his heart.

Smirking at his Captain, he watched as she went to take a step back before knocking her sword out of her hand with his own. Swiftly, he caught the sword by the pommel and pointed both of them at her.

"Do you yield?" He gave her a swoon-worthy smirk, laughter dancing in his eyes at the shock on her face.

In order to win this fight, he had played dirty but he knew it was worth it when he looked at her face. Lyria Blackwood was not a woman easily shocked, and Caleb had accomplished it. Bets were being collected behind the two whilst Lyria stalked up to Caleb and snatched back her blade.

"You dirty cheat."

"That's how I was taught." He winked at her before walking off.

Shaking her head in amusement at his retreating form, Lyria smiled - truly smiled - for the first time since that note. Catching her eye, Caleb felt a burst of pride at the smile he had coaxed from his Captain; from his friend. The only reason he had cheated during their match was to get that smile.

A smile from Lyria was earth shattering. It could melt even the coldest hearts and trick even the cleverest of scholars. And Caleb had been the cause of one.

"Cheating bastard earned me a lot of money tonight." James commented, coming to stand by Lyria's side. "So glad I was the only who bet on him."

"You knew he was going to cheat, didn't you?"

"Obviously. Otherwise I never would have bet on him." James rolled his eyes, jumping over to Caleb and clapping him on the back.

"My idiot boys." Lyria muttered before deciding to join in with the group that had cracked open a bottle (or five) of rum.