~ FIVE ~

Sun shone down on the Vampyre, highlighting the caramel hints in her dark locks, as she took a stroll through the now quiet streets of Tortuga

Sun shone down on the Vampyre, highlighting the caramel hints in her dark locks, as she took a stroll through the now quiet streets of Tortuga. Walking alone was a rarity and one that she thoroughly enjoyed. She was able to enjoy the scenery without James or Caleb's muscular bodies blocking the views, she was able to think to herself without having to make conversation with a member of the crew.

For a small amount of time, she didn't have to be the feared Pirate Captain with a whole crew resting on her shoulders; she could just be a regular woman in Tortuga.

No weapons were visible but she had a dagger in her boot and another hidden up her sleeve. Just because she wanted to be a normal woman didn't mean she was going to appear defenceless.

Reaching the main dock, she smiled at the sea breeze blowing back her hair, which she had left loose and free. Nothing made her happier than the sight of the waves crashing upon the shore, the fading of ships as they sailed to the horizon, the smell of salt that lingered in the air and her hair.

Morning was one of Lyria's favourite times of the day. The promise of a new day filled with unexpected events. More importantly, mornings gave her a chance to fill her day with violence. If someone pissed her off that morning, she would find a way to take out her annoyance in some bar fight. If she had yet to feed, the night would bring her a chance to fill her stomach. Mornings planned out the rest of the day.

Lost in serene thought of the ocean, Lyria barely had a chance to turn before her stalker had her pinned to the side of a building, arm placed on her throat. Hearing the thrum of his heart, Lyria realised he was human and instead of fighting back, she allowed the man to think he had her trapped. Curiosity won over her instinct to attack.

"May I help you?" Lyria asked, forcing herself to choke out the words; making the man think he was hurting her slightly. She felt his grip loosen slightly.

"I'm here to deliver a message." His voice was gruff and deep. Scars littered the arm pressed against her trachea, and she could tell from the rough handling that he was a Pirate.

"Get on with it then. As much as I do enjoy the feeling of a muscular body against mine, I have more important things to do this morning."

"For someone being choked, you're awfully calm."

"You need to deliver a message. For me to hear the message, I need to be alive." Lyria snapped, patience wearing thin.

"The person who sent you the Black Spot wishes you to meet him at The Broken Hull. As the sun begins to dip below the horizon. If you do not, the consequences will be catastrophic."

And without giving her the chance to come up with a sarcastic response, the man released her and hurried off without a second glance.

________________________________________________________