~ PROLOGUE ~

~ Around 1200s ~

~ Around 1200s ~

"Good evening, Father." Lyria Blackwood greeted as she entered her father's study, asking him if he desired a cup of tea. "Oh, hello, Miss Georgia."

Trying to hide her look of displeasure, Lyria bowed her head in greeting as she took in her brother's mistress.

Fiddling with her bracelet, Lyria tried to ignore the tension in the air but she couldn't ignore the glares being exchanged between her father and Georgia.

Not even looking at his son's lover, Lord Alastair Blackwood dismissed her with a reminder that dinner would be served in two hours.

"Good evening, dear. Have you had a good day?" Alastair asked, finally looking about from the paper adorning his desk.

Letting out a sigh, Lyria perched on the edge of her father' chair, careful not to crumple her dress.

"It was pleasant."

As the years had passed, Lyria had spent many days being 'courted' by potential husbands. Today, she had been taken to a beautiful park for a delicious picnic, with a bland man.

Every suitor she had turned down for various reasons and her father was starting to get vexed with his daughter. In terms of marriage and heirs, she was getting old and if she wasn't married soon then she would be a burden.

"Lyria, my child, my pride and joy." Alastair started, causing Lyria to let out a weary sigh. "You must marry soon, dear. Your brother will be getting wed before you, and he is younger than you and male."

"Father, I have heard this speech so many times. I'm sorry but none of them interest me. None of them excite me. I need excitement in my life. What do you mean Stefan is marrying?" Hopping off the arm of the chair, she edged towards the door, hoping to escape her father.

"You are a woman. Your excitement will be raising your children. Not sailing the seas. You need a man who can provide for you." Alastair rolled his eyes at the words he had recited so many times. "And, Stefan is marrying Claire Richards, from the village, in two months."

"Was that why Georgia looked so furious with you?" Lyria took a step towards her father, wanting to know every little detail.

"We will discuss it at the dinner table later. Now, find some way to occupy yourself whilst I search for yet another suitor."

With a wave of his hand, Lyria floated out of the door, slamming it behind her in her exasperation. No one would ever see her as anything but a trophy wife.

________________________________________________________

Dinner had been eventful. Stefan had announced his engagement to Lyria and Georgia, with Claire sat beside him. Surprisingly, Georgia hadn't launched herself across the table to strangle Claire but had opted to to continue eating dinner, face remaining neutral.