~ TWENTY FOUR ~

Four days remained until Lyria would have to say goodbye to her ship

Four days remained until Lyria would have to say goodbye to her ship. All the hard work and dedication she had put into it showed as they glided effortlessly through the water. Four days until she would have to say goodbye to her family.
All the love and time she had put into binding them all together so that the ties would never break showed as they chatted and laughed with each other, hearts full of love and joy despite the darkness of their species.

Knowing her time with them was coming to an end, Lyria had spent her days sitting with them, talking to them, helping them with their chores. Anything if it meant she could spend as much time with them as possible.
The crew relished in having their Captain with them but their joy was short lived when they realised it was her way of saying goodbye to them.

Jonathan began flirting with her with far more charm than before, glad to coax some giggles out of her.
Lucille was amazed as Lyria showed her some techniques to ensure map making was easier and was always rushing around to show the Captain her developments.

Isabelle manned the helm with more ease as the Captain stood with her, telling her about all the places she had visited.

Elijah was grateful when the Captain got down on her hands and knees to help him scrub the deck, it reminded him of when she'd knelt beside him as he lay dying and offered to save his life.

James took every moment he could to pick her up and carry around the ship swung over his shoulder. It was almost easy to forget the task that lay ahead of them when the crew were this merry.

The only dark cloud seemed to be Caleb who dutifully carried out his chores, and then slunk back to his bunk belowdeck. He didn't join in when all the crew ate together and swapped stories. He didn't join in when card games were set up and sword fights put on. Lyria tried to ignore it but some small part of her missed his presence more than she had missed James.

Caleb had been her rock. He had kept her sane, listening to the worries and troubles she'd had. Now, she wasn't sure if he'd even be by her side when she faced Davy Jones.

The Mermaid's Revenge had been quiet, aside from Jordyn who hopped over every now and again, and Lucien had made no contact with Lyria. The bond remained empty.

________________________________

As the sun set on the third day, Lyria knew that day two would start tomorrow and she had never been more grateful to see an island on the horizon. The crew were beginning to grow glum as the days dwindled and they weren't any closer to breaking the curse. As the strip of sand came into eye view, the Vampyres on watch leaped up and began hooting with joy. Unfortunately, the island was still a day's sail away and then they would still have to find the chest, find the key.

She didn't voice any of this to the crew but she knew that they would figure it out soon enough. Some of them probably already had but didn't wish to acknowledge the truth of the situation. There wasn't enough time.