~ SIXTEEN ~

Stalls lined the streets heaving under the weight of their contraband

Stalls lined the streets heaving under the weight of their contraband. Puerto Muerte was a little island known only to scallywags, criminals, and pirates (although, many people would say those things were one in the same). People came here to trade their goods and wares that they had not made or bought themselves.
In other words, it was a place full of illegal objects.

The stench of unwashed bodies and animal feces was so strong that it was proving difficult for even the Vampyres to smell the salty scent of the sea.

Lyria's crew had been allowed to spend some of their wages buying whatever they wished for and Lucien had done the same for his crew but ensured that they stayed close to members of The Crimson Rose. As usual, the trio walked together but this time they were joined by Lucien, Jordyn and Tomas; the six of them had fit perfectly, falling into place.
They had formed an unstoppable, frightening group. People tripped over themselves trying to move out of their path and the shocked whispers followed them as they hopped from stall to stall.

'Is that really Captain Blackwood and Captain Whitelock working together?'

'I thought they hated each other?'

'Maybe they are sleeping together.'

'I heard he cursed her. Maybe she is his slave.'

At that last one, Lyria whirled on the gossip and narrowed her eyes. Eyes blazing with fury, Lyria smiled as the woman paled before falling to her knees and begging for forgiveness. Informing the woman to get off the floor, Lyria made a sound of disgust before strolling past the young woman without a glance back.

Staring at the back of the Captain with shock, Lucien realised he had forgotten about the dark side of Lyria. The side that had gotten her such an infamous reputation. This was the woman he had hated before he had been given the chance to know the real her.

Darting away from the group, Lyria rushed to a stall which was staffed by an older man. Pulling him in for a hug, Lyria chatted animatedly to the man, not noticing the confused looks on the faces of the Human trio.

"Caleb, who is he?" Lucien leaned forward to whisper in the handsome man's ear.

"That would be Abraham. Lyria buys all her daggers from him, calls him the best in the business." James answered before Caleb could.

Per Lyria's pleading, James was making more of an effort to be nicer to Lucien and accept him as an ally. All it had done was freak Lucien out and make James grumpy. However, it made Lyria happy so they both pretended to get along.

Picking up various daggers, Lyria inspected them as she continued her conversation with Abraham. Slipping them out of the sheaths, she tested the balance of them before trying out some moves. Handing over a handful of gold coins, Lyria placed various daggers into her satchel before giving Abraham one last hug. Lucien could not help but notice that she grossly overpaid.