~ FOUR ~

Voices hushed as Captain Blackwood stalked the streets of Tortuga, her Second and Third trailing behind her; faces devoid of any emotion, providing them with masks

In Singapore, Lyria remained unknown, wanting to return there when she needed peace and quiet. In Tortuga, Lyria was infamous - feared. Here, people cowered in her presence and squeaked in terror at the mere mention of her name.

Accompanying the sword strapped to her side, two daggers were held in scabbards at the top of her thighs, and another blade was slung across her back; her black cloak remained on the ship as Lyria had not wished to cover her weapons.

Houses and ramshackle buildings lined the streets. Wood covered up the holes blown into the buildings, boarding up smashed windows. Vomit splashed the streets, mixing in with sewer water and other questionable substances. Tortuga was filthier than Singapore.

"James, I need you to keep you an eye on the crew. Caleb, stay with me." Lyria whispered to her Second and Third, the quietness of her voice not masking the command in her tone.

James saluted before strolling away from the duo, whistling a merry tune.

"What are we doing here, Captain?"

Around people other than the crew, Caleb remained formal and stoic; ever the dutiful warrior ready to serve. Whispers followed the two Vampyres as they passed humans shrinking into the shadows.

"There is someone I must see."

"You said that last time and came back covered in blood."

Once she had come to terms with murdering Izzy, Lyria had informed Caleb of the events that had led to her downfall. Caleb had understood, perhaps in a way that James had not. Caleb had always been able to understand what was going on in Lyria's head, in ways that carefree James had not.

Caleb's past was dark in a way that James' was not.

"I promise there will be no bloodshed this time. However, I will need you to remain on guard outside. She can get a little skittish."

Agreeing to her demands, Caleb allowed Lyria to lead him through the streets of Tortuga. Too busy watching as the evening sun highlighted the rare golden strands in his Captain's brown curls, Caleb failed to notice the human scout trailing their every move.

Failed to notice an insignificant heartbeat in the sea of human sounds.

________________________________________________________

Lyria's meeting had been fleeting and had, thankfully, ended on good terms. As did all the meetings Lyria had with the woman she had just seen.

Looping her arm through Caleb's, she dragged him through the streets, passing crowded tavern after crowded tavern. Spotting a small, quiet tavern, Lyria made sure to remember the name as she made her way back to The Crimson Rose.