Chapter 24/The shameful discovery

Institution 71/Dorm 7/Meta's POV.

When I woke up, it was precisely 4 o'clock in the morning. I was getting used to these highly vivid dreams. There were experiences from my childhood which I hardly remembered having. The front yard of a house near a blast site.  It was strange I could remember it we had only lived in for a couple of weeks. I could remember the dust so clearly.

"You there? I said to Brooklyn. In the dark. 

"yep" I said silently back.  "let's move," I said sitting up. I felt so refreshed it could've been 10 o'clock in the morning on a lazy Sunday morning. I reached out and grabbed a teeshirt and put it on under the covers. Brooklyn was quietly putting a shirt on then picked himself and quietly lowered himself into his chair.

I showed in Brooklyn how to unlock the door from the outside with his mind. In the near pitch black, it was easy to see electronics in the room. The door unlocked with a slight click and I grabbed it and peeked into the corridor beyond.

There was a surveillance camera but it had never been installed properly. So the signal never reached the control centre. Much of the equipment seems to be standard GovSys stuff. This meant some of it just didn't. Of the instituted equipment that did work it was had been so complicated it stopped working and couldn't be fixed. I worked out a route which managed to bypass all the working surveillance cameras.

We wove our way through the institute. It was strange seeing the place so quite. Without people it felt like a ghost world. A museum of dead and buried ideas.  Soon we were back in the room with the working computer. I switched it on and I set a timer on myself to remind me to look again in five minutes.

"You've got some blood coming from your nose," I told Brooklyn. I had a tissue and used it to whip the blood away.

"Do you think she's okay?" Brooklyn said.

"Well if the virus as hit she must be feeling pretty rough." I began. I reached out grabbed the USB cable lifted my hair and plugged my self in.

"Did I tell you" Brooklyn began rubbing the back of his neck "I can start to feel sore area at the top of my neck.

I pausing for a second "are we becoming robots?" I asked.

Brooklyn shook his head "we can still bleed, feel pain. I wouldn't say we are robots but we could be cyborgs. Half people half machines."

"Okay I'm going in," I said closing my eyes.

"You should show me how you do this." Brooklyn said. There was a swelling on his neck. I wondered to do when it burst. How would he hide it?

"What and lose my sole power over... okay, I'm in the PC." I said looking around "it's got that encrypted video. The one you couldn't open this morning. Let me set it rolling."

What I did next was hard to describe. I set the machine to find words anywhere are in its itself and then try them as the password. This is basically assumed that whoeever used this was dumb enough to leave the password on the machine it was protecting. I thought it was worth a chance. This searchingcontinuese what I got on with looking at the network.

"hm,m" I began "she's not in the grey wing."

"Try medical" Brooklyn suggested but by the time he had done I was already there.

"oka,y I found her. She's strapped down on the bed in the medical wing. She is sleeping now. There is a record on the computer there. They've given her a cavity search. Yuk. Found nothing that's astonishing. Looks like she was vomiting too much to be given laxatives. Medical record says she is to be kept in overnight for observations. They are blaming it on the food."