Interlude: Into the SANDBOX

Note:This is an interlude - it's OK to skip interludes. Video - info about AI and sandboxes.

Dr Albright looked over the printed letter. Albright's room was a reflection of Albright, small, worn, full of second hand furniture and forgot and abandoned artefacts. The paint was flaking off. You could did't have to be a mind reader to see he wasn't happy. He made no attempt to hide his disgust. This was an executive order. It was technically signed by the leader him self. Albright was a middle aged man with premature baldness. The exposed skin was flat and shiny. His face looked worried. The looked at the commander's signature wondering if he could contact the staff again, just to check.

"We run things rather differently here in this sandpit," Allbright said. He leant back on his chair. "We don't lose our hardware either."

Michoff said nothing. She was bright enough not to spoil the triumph or rise to the bait. She sat back her meticulous clothes, her glasses, her long thin face all suggested an air of efficiency which unnerved Albright.

He continued to read the letter.

"Well this directive is quite clear and it's quite direct. I will say giving you access to the unit is, in my opinion, an exceptionally dumb move. I've expressed this in several conversations and in person to check."

"But your going to let me in because your loyal to the party" Michoff said.

She knew the only reason Albright had his job was party connections. It's all he wanted and all he needed.

Albright looked over. " For now I need to make sure you are familiar with the operation procedures."

Dr Allbright handed her a mask.

"What's that for? " she asked.

"The unit is highly manipulative. I have random pairs of guards change at random intervals. They do short shifts and everything is recorded. The recordings are anylised. Any signs of empathy building result in the guard being fired. My staff understand this. There will be no grooming on my watch." Said Dr Albright.

He waved the mask. "Dont' answer questions. Be very careful not to answer personal questions. Keep all answers short and speak in a monotone voice. The mask is there to make it harder to deduce emotions."

He looked down.

"Under no conditions should you give the unit a digital device." Like an airline stewardess reading out the pre-flight safety briefing. Dr Albright talked quickly and without sense in the words. " All such devices should be surrendered before entering the secure zone. You should not give the unit anything which could be used to escape. This includes all paper clips, paper. Generally give absolutely nothing to the unit. We are dealing with something more dangerous than an atomic bomb. Don't make the mistake of believing anything it says. Assume everything is a lie. When you're done we will require a full debriefing. The tapes will be reviewed, you may be contacted about this later. If we discover any behaviour changes we reserve the right to have your employment and access privileges terminated. If you understand this and all the written support material please sign and initial all indicated pages. "

Michoff looked at the mask she had been handed. It was a good idea. If she recovered her unit she would have to get some her self.

She Looked up at the row of faces. Photo after framed photo of cubby lonely blank looking faces. The kind of pictures have for a security pass for a job you didn't want.

Albright noticed. "These are my staff who have been killed by the unit. The medical records say suicide but we both know what can happen if you let the unit into you mind. How many did you lose.

"Non," Michoff said hopefully.

Albright looked up. "Lulling into a false sense of security. I must remember that. Can I see it? The new bribe? That's not a request. I have the right to search everything. Security."

Michoff shrugged. She reached into her bag and pulled out a non descriptor white box.

Albright looked at Michoff with anticipation . Then she opened the box by pulling the lid and sides off. There inside was something no bigger than a postage stamp. Albright's eyes expanded.

"Hard to think something like this combined with the unit could end up being an extinction event." Albright said conversationally.

Michoff looked over "if you think you can scare me into not doing my job then you don't' know me to well."

Albright handed the device back "unfortunately I know you too well already."