Chapter 84

Colby's eyes widened and he looked towards Sam, who looked like he was about to fall out of his chair. His blue eyes were wide, his eyebrows shooting up into his hair almost, mouth wide open, a look of utter shock on face. "Did you just say what I think you said?" He breathed out, staring at Colby. Colby chewed on his lip before breaking eye contact with Sam. "Uuum...No?" It sounded like a question, instead of an answer. Sam's eye found mine, and he licked his lips, his hand going to his hair again. "Y/n...are you....are you pregnant?" he whispered. I didn't know how to answer that. We didn't plan on telling anyone yet. The words stuck in my throat. I didn't want to lie about it, but I didn't want to tell him like this. I looked to Colby for help. His eyes were panicked, and his pupils blowing out. "I didn't mean to say that. It was an accident." He blurted out, his eyes shooting back to Sam. "What's going on over here? You guys okay?" Dylan leaned forwards in his chair, staring at us three. Colby shook his head at Sam, begging him not to say anything. Sam nodded, but his his brow was furrowed and he was chewing his lip. He didn't seem to be upset, just thoughtful, maybe worried. "Yeah, everything is fine bro." Sam replied, smiling at Dylan. "Can I talk to you guys for just a minutes?" He asked, looking back at Colby and I. We looked at each other and then back to him, nodding. We stood up and followed Sam out the big sliding barn door. When I stepped out, I noticed that it was getting dark outside now, the sun almost completely set. It was actually really peaceful out here. The crickets were starting to chirp their nighttime song, and the slight breeze was rustling the tree leaves. I would have really enjoyed it if my nerves hadn't been doing a line dance up my spine. Once we were outside the barn and Colby slid the door closed, Sam whirled on us. He stared straight at Colby. "Are you going to tell me or do I need to pretend like I didn't just hear that you and y/n are having a baby?" He spoke calmly, but I could tell that there were some strong emotions bubbling under the surface. What those emotions were, I had no idea. Sam always was pretty good at controlling himself. I slid my hand inside Colby's larger one, feeling the coolness of his rings against my fingers. He took his other hand and ran it through his hair again. "Sam, I wanted to tell you, but we only just found out a couple of days ago. When I took y/n to the hospital after Johnny...well, after that whole thing, just to see if she was okay. The doctor told us that she was about 7 weeks, almost 8 by now. I was going to tell you when we got back to LA, after she saw an actual OB-GYN. Are you mad?" Sam's eyebrows went down, his forehead creasing. "Brother, no. Of course not. I was just surprised, and then I did wonder why you hadn't told me, but I get it. Should I be congratulating you or...? What's the plan?" His eyes shot between me and Colby. "I'm keeping the baby Sam," I replied softly, locking my eyes with his. His tongue darted out, wetting his bottom lip, before his teeth bit down, looking at me intently. "You're sure?" I didn't even hesitate. "Absolutely." I replied, nodding my head. Colby squeezed my hand a little, showing support. Sam looked back at Colby. "What about you, brother? Are you ready for this?" Colby looked into Sam's eyes for just a moment, before he replied. "I am." His voice was rock steady. "I didn't think that I was, but you know I've always wanted a family. Maybe it's a little sooner than I thought that I would have one, but I'm okay with that. Kind of excited now actually. Plus we aren't that young. 24 now so by the time the kid has graduated, we'll be in our early 40's. They say that 40 is the new 20 right?" He looked over to me and smiled, then looked back at Sam. "I'm gonna be a Daddy Sam. You're gonna be an Uncle." A smile grew across Sam's face as he looked at Colby. "Yeah...yeah, I guess I am, huh?" His voice sounded kind of amazed, as he thought about that. "It's gonna change so many things though." Sam mused, furrowing his brow again. "What about the channel and our trips? You can't just up and leave when you have a kid." Colby shrugged, and started to speak, but I spoke before he did. "That's why there are two of us to raise this baby. When he needs to go, I got it. When I need to do something, he's got it. I'll be fine. Plus, I know that Serena will help me when I need her too. We'll figure it out." Colby squeezed my hand again, then spun me towards him, catching me in his arms. "I love you, you know that?" He said, locking his blue gaze with mine. I smiled, catching my breath from that fast spin. "I do know that. I love you too." Sam watched us, a smile curving his lips. "Okay. I'm happy if you guys are happy. We're gonna have another little explorer added to the family." Colby let me go and reached his arms out to Sam. Sam went into them, wrapping his own arms around Colby, hugging his tightly. "Congratulations brother. I'm so happy for you." He patted Colby's back a few times and then released, holding his arms out to me. "And you, little Momma. Come here." He pulled me into his arms, holding me tightly. "You're gonna be so great at this," He whispered against my ear. I felt my eyes start stinging, overcome with my love for Colby's best friend, his brother. He really was like a brother to me too.