Snow Way I'm Leaving You!

On Wednesday, March 27, 1985, a normal school day in Hawkins, Indiana turned into a fun snow day. Mike typically didn't like missing school because unlike most people, he actually enjoyed it. Today was different though because having a snow day as late as March was pretty rare, even for Indiana. His mom let him sleep in as late as he wanted. When he woke up, he pushed the curtains to the side and looked out the window. His back and front yard were both covered in a white blanket of snow. From that moment, he knew that school was definitely canceled. He then walked into the kitchen, yawning.

"*kisses forehead* Good morning, sweetie!"

"Morning."

"No school! That's exciting. *pauses* What are you gonna do with yourself?"

"I don't know. I was thinking about getting together with El or something."

"Oh, honey. Look outside. There are about 5 inches of snow out there!"

"Yeah, son. They pulled you out of school for a reason. The roads are icy today, not meant for riding your bike."

"El's house is too far away and the roads are dangerous out there."

"*rolls eyes* This is so unfair...What the hell am I supposed to do?"

"HEY! LANGUAGE!"

*rolls eyes*

"Well, you can play with your little sister out in the snow, you could read a book...There are lots of things you could do!"

*scoffs*

He finished eating his breakfast and then called El.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me."

"MIKE! I missed you so much!"

"I know, I've missed you too! I'm sorry, I've just been so busy with school and stuff..."

"Wait, today's a Wednesday. Why aren't you at school now? Are you sick?"

"No, silly goose! Why don't you check outside!"

"Okay..."

*looks outside*

"*presses hand on window* Snow!"

"Yeah. There's like 5 inches of it out there, so they had to cancel school."

"Oh. So, can you come over then?"

"I really want to, but my parents won't let me. They're so anal..."

*sighs*

"I won't let that stop me though...I need to see you!"

"I need to see you too. I can't stop thinking about you..."

"I'll be there in 30 minutes...maybe a little longer because of the roads."

"Okay. Be careful!"

"Thanks, I will. Love you, El!"

"Love you too! See you soon!"

The snow was coming down hard, and after talking to Mike, Nancy offered to go out and buy all of the groceries they needed, before the roads got too bad. Mike then asked if he could tag along and his parents agreed to it. Instead, Nancy snuck Mike off to El's and later blamed her reason for being late on her car, which she claimed broke down on her way there. When they arrived, he said:

"Thanks, Nance."

"No prob, little bro."

As he walked away, he shouted back to Nancy: