Eleven Minutes In Heaven

[Monday, May 13, 1985, 8:35 a.m.]

It was only 20 minutes until Mike and El's first classes at Hawkins High. Mike had called El the night before their first day to explain a few things about school, its social norms, and expectations. Within a matter of seconds, she walked through the door and it was just like he had imagined. She looked around in awe. She had never seen so many people in one place. She walked around the halls until she found the water fountain, where her boyfriend was patiently waiting for her.

It all felt surreal like it was happening in slow motion. She ran up to him with a big smile and grabbed his face, holding the sides of it in her hands as she put her lips on his.

"And hello to you too!" he said.

*laughs*

"*checks watch* Looks like we've got about 20 minutes to kill. What do you wanna do?"

"Let's just talk."

"Okay!" he said, taking off his backpack and sliding down the locker.

"So, are you excited about your first class?"

"Yes, but mostly nervous."

"That's understandable."

"Hey, Mike, would you take a look at my schedule with me? I'm still a little bit confused about where I'm supposed to go to and when."

"Yeah, sure."

After helping her navigate her schedule and talking for about 10 minutes, Mike stood up and helped El to her feet just before putting his backpack on. Once El finished putting hers back on, Mike reached out and grabbed the straps of them, walking his feet toward hers.

She backed up, stumbling a little bit, but with the look that he was giving her, she couldn't help but follow his lead. Mike's gaze was almost hypnotic and for once in her life, El felt powerless. When he looked into her eyes, it felt like they were the only two people in the room and she felt butterflies in her stomach. He then pressed her up against a locker beside the janitor's closet, kissing her lips, cheeks, and neck.

She and Mike had been together for quite a while, yet things still felt so fresh. They felt so comfortable with each other that it was almost like they had known each other their whole lives, but they still had a way of making each other feel all ooey gooey inside.

"*pulls away* I have an idea!" he said.

"What is it?"

"C'mon!" he said, grabbing her hand, interlacing her fingers with his.

"Where are we go-Whoa!" she said as he pulled her arm away, spinning her around into the closet.

"What is this place?" she asked, walking inside.

"It's a closet. What does it look like?" he said, filing in behind her.

"But there aren't any clothes in it..."

"*takes off backpack* That's because it's the janitor's closet."

"Have you gone mad?" she asked, her back facing him.

He snuck up behind her, sliding her backpack straps off, moving her hair to the side, as he whispered in her ear and said:

"I am only what you make me..."

She smiled at his answer as he wrapped his arms around her stomach and moved in on her neck, kissing it tenderly.

Feeling all tingly inside, she placed her left hand on top of his and the other on the back of his head. Once he lifted his head from her neck, she locked eyes with him and brought his face toward hers. Then, she stopped and smelled the roses, once again staring into the clear 8 balls that were his eyes- They always had the answer she was looking for.