Chapter Thirty-Eight: Home At Last

Start from the beginning

"Hey Phillip, hey Gasten," I smiled slightly as Gasten looked at me, clearly startled. His eyes fell to my shirt and widened in concern. "Don't worry, s' not mine," I waved. Phillip stepped closer and licked my cheek and I smiled tearfully. "I'm fine," I whispered and leaned into him, brought to tears by the comfort and familiarity I'd been deprived of for days. "It's not over yet, we have to help," I said stepping away after a moment. He nodded and ran back into the fray, Gasten running after him after licking my cheek with a wag of his tail. I took a steadying breath, feeling better even after just a moment of being reunited with my pack. 

A snarl caught my attention and my head snapped to the side as a wolf barreled towards me and I dropped, letting it lunge over me before pushing myself up and catching it around the middle then threw it into the dirt. I was on the wolf in a second, grabbing its muzzle and forcing its head back before ducking in and biting into its throat, clamping down till my teeth closed around a ring of cartilage and ripped back, a crack sounding loudly followed by a length of trachea hanging between my teeth. I spat it out and pushed myself up, huffing as I wiped my mouth. I growled when I saw one of my own being cornered and raced to their side, diving onto one of the wolves backs and tightening my arms around its neck, not worried about another tearing me off as my pack member dove between us, covering me as I wrestled this wolf to the dirt. Huffing and puffing once the wolves were taken out, I and my pack member looked at each other with a nod. 

A howl rung out then, freezing everyone in place with the sheer intensity of it. Soon another howl rung out followed by another and another till it sounded like an orchestra. I looked around in confusion, not knowing if this was good or bad. The wolves singing into the sky were my pack so I took that as a good sign and slowly weaved my way through the still or howling wolves to where the first had rung out. There, over the bloodied body of Fisher, stood a black wolf with his head thrown back, singing proudly. It was a victory song; we had won. Nearby stood another black wolf, maw wet and fur clumped with the blood of the dead Beta, Elijah, sprawled under him. He dropped his head from the victorious howl, ocean blue eyes meeting mine and the air was punched from my lungs, body starting to tremble.

"Kyle..." I choked and my trembling legs gave out, falling to my knees and he bolted towards me, tongue lapping away my tears as he skidded to a stop before me. I closed my eyes with a soft sob and fell into him, the soft fur under my fingers turning into smooth skin then his arms were around me, holding me tight. 

"Shh, it's okay, I'm here now, I'm here," he whispered into my ear as he stroked my tangled hair. My temple throbbed with how hard I cried, chest swelling with relief and love because he was here, he came.

"Kyle..." I whimpered, too tired and needy for him right now to care how pathetic I sounded. "God, I'm so happy to see you right now, I- I missed you so much, I didn't know if I would see you again-" I rambled, sniffling and clinging to him tightly as he kissed me softly and pressed his forehead to mine.

"I know, Baby, I missed you too, I was so worried..." I felt tears drip onto my cheeks, Kyle sniffling softly as he held onto me like he was never going to let me go again. I slouched into him, limbs feeling heavy and sore now that the fight had left my body. I looked up tiredly as someone growled loudly and sat up straight when I heard Seymour yelp, walking forward quickly with his tail tucked as Blake nipped at his heels. Kyle looked at him and snarled, teeth bared as he pulled me to him tighter. "Another one, huh? Why didn't you take off like the rest of your pack? Do you have a death wish?" He growled and Seymour's ears pinned back.

"Kyle, no, he's good, he's my friend. He helped me," I explained quickly as I grabbed his arm. Kyle glared at Seymour a moment longer before relaxing. 

"Thank you for helping my mate," he nodded once.

"Can he come with us? He doesn't have anywhere else to go, and he deserves a real pack," I asked softly, drawing Kyle's attention back to me. He nodded and kissed my head gently, standing up and carefully pulling me up with him. Morgan nodded at me warmly and I smiled slightly. "Thank you..." I whispered gratefully. Looking around revealed the rest of our pack gathered around us, some clawed up and bleeding, others wearing the blood of their enemy as victors. That's when it occurred to me; they were all in their wolf forms. I looked at Kyle, curiously, wondering why he was the only one to shift back and got my answer quickly.