Chapter 56

Celia looked up to the hole and studied it for a moment and struggled to not imagine Verbena in the space, as that would summon the jade dragoness before the two riders were ready. "I think so."

"I doubt Irin will be able to fit, but if Verbena can I think we have a plan," a large grin spread across Xan's face. "Verbena can swoop down and dive through the hole, grab the ray of light, then flee back to the mountain ridge. Irin can pick us up and carry us over as well. I think if we alert the black dragon it will probably go after Verbena, so she needs all the speed she can muster."

Celia nodded as she stared up to the carvings that lined the sides of the stone tower. "What do we do after we have all four? Will they just combine and go into the sky or something similar?" She remembered the words of the prophet in the dungeon but was unsure about whether or not the crazed man was completely trustworthy.

"I don't know," Xan admitted, "but something good will happen if we have all four rays of light together. It has to be that way."

Celia slowly nodded as she dwelled on the white and black dragons. The black dragon attacked them, so how could it be good? Konrad was definitely not perfectly trustworthy either.

Before the green-cloaked rider could speculate further, a dear and familiar voice rang in Celia's mind. 'CELIA! I CAN'T WAIT TO TRY AGAIN TO CONTACT YOU LATER LIKE IRIN TOLD ME TOO SO PLEASE HEAR ME!!! I WANT YOU TO BE OK!! PLEASE BE ALIVE!'

Celia flinched at the volume of the call but laughed a bit. 'Verbena, I am fine,' she assured, 'the dungeon had some weird magic that blocked our mindlink, but I can hear you now, there is no need to yell.'

'OH THANK THE MOON!' Verbena continued to mentally yell, then quieted a bit. 'I was so worried,' the young dragoness whimpered a bit.

'I am okay,' Celia assured Verbena in a calm mental tone, 'nothing happened that we could not handle.'

Verbena slowly relaxed and lowered her volume, 'I am very glad you are not hurt. What is the city like?'

'Strange,' Celia commented, 'but Xan and I have a plan. You are going to swoop down and steal the ray of light, then get over the mountain as fast as you can fly before the black dragon finds you.' She sent the young dragoness a mental image of the pillar and the hole she was to dive through.

'I can do it!' Verbena trumpeted. 'I will go ahead and go into the sky!' Her voice rang with enthusiasm.

'Not yet!' Celia mentally called. 'We need to wait until more of the town is asleep, it is still too early, and we should make sure Irin is also ready.'

Verbena released a snort that was both mental and physical. 'Fine, but do not make me wait too long.' She huffed slightly.

'It won't be too much longer,' Celia assured her draconic companion, then looked over to Xan. "How long should we wait?"

"I wish we could wait until Orthos arrived, but we have no idea how far behind us they still are right now." Xan glanced around. "They would distract the guards and the black dragon for us, but I think we are still alone for now."

Celia blinked, then slowly nodded in understanding. "So not much longer? How long is that?"

Xan pointed out to the buildings that surround the castle, some of which had lights in the windows. "When more of the lights in the rooms darken, then we can go. That will mean most of the residents are asleep."

Celia nodded and looked out as the temperature continued to drop, but the air was still warmer than the air outside the city. She inhaled and filled her lungs with the damp warmish air, then calmly exhaled as she hoped they would not have to wait too much longer before they finished their quest.