ⅩⅦ

Aurora

After hours of going around and talking to almost everyone who came to the ball, my dad came and told me it's time to meet the Crounian royal family.

I just know something is going to go wrong. I can feel it.

I meet up with my sisters as our dad leads the way to the Crounians whom are already talking to my mother.

"Good evening." We greet them with curtsies in respect. 

"Oh darlings, you all look breathtaking!" The Queen of Crounia, Queen Hazel, complimented us. We smile and thank her, telling her she looks rather beautiful too.

We introduced ourselves to one another. The Crounian royal family consisted of Queen Hazel, King Fredrick, Prince Scott, and Prince Jake, who has yet to join us.

Everything was going well until I saw a certain face rushing towards us. Prince Jake is none other than Jake Crown, from university. My sisters and I exchange horrified looks 

His eyes meet mine and he smirks mischievously before putting on an innocent smile, turning to greet my parents. They too have been fooled by his tricks. The nice and flawless demeanor he puts on to draw people in. But I know better, and I have to make sure he doesn't deceive my family.

"Prince Jake." I curtsy, not wanting to be impolite; this is a peace making after all. Let's hope he's willing too.

"Princess Aurora," He bowed, turning back to the nice person he's not. "You look beautiful, princess." He smiles. I can see the teasing glint in his eyes as he calls me princess.

Now I really wish Chris was here with me.

"You too, your highness." I force a smile.

Our parents seem to buy it as they smile at us. My sisters keep glancing at each other; they're just as nervous as me.

I freaking knew this isn't gonna end well.

After a long evening of talking to the Crounian royal family, my sisters and I excused ourselves to get me ready for the coronation

"Okay so," Scarlet starts "What the hell are we going to do about Jake?"

Amelia sighs "I don't know. We should tell mom and dad-" 

"No!" I cut her off and they look at me startled by my outburst. "Look, if we tell them they'll just change our college, and none of us want that. Plus, then we won't be there to keep an eye out for him." I explain.

They hesitate but agree eventually.

"But we have to make sure he doesn't reveal who we are. It could be dangerous." Amelia stated and we nodded.

"Enough about him though!" Scarlet exclaimed "Today is all about you, Rora! You're getting your tiara!"

I smile softly, looking at the glass container that held my tiara. It's beautiful and elegant, yet holds so much strength in it's history. I'm lucky to be the one who will wear it. I don't think I'm ready for the responsibilities that come with it, but I can do it. I have my sisters and friends to help me. I have a kingdom to protect and serve. I will do what it takes to keep the people here happy.

"Let's do this." I grin.

"Ladies and gentlemen," My dad grabbed the attention of all the guests "We welcome you to our humble castle and kingdom

"Ladies and gentlemen," My dad grabbed the attention of all the guests "We welcome you to our humble castle and kingdom. We hope you all enjoyed this evening." Everyone clapped as he said that.

"Today we are gathered for our daughter's 18th birthday; her coming of age." My mom said with a proud smile. "We are proud to present our youngest daughter, whom will be getting her tiara in a moment, Princess Aurora!" 

The crowd cheered as I walked to where my parents were standing, my sisters trailing behind me. I felt the nerves clouding my thoughts, until my eyes met with my friends who were all a part of the massive crowd.

I stand in front of the small throne placed there as I wait for my father to crown me.

The duke of Avelyn takes the tiara out of the glass box, and walks to my father, holding the silky pillow that had the tiara resting on it.

Taking the tiara, my dad walks closer to me until he is standing behind me. My mom holds a piece of old parchment in her hand; the oath of a royal member, founded by queen Emlyn after the betrayal of her lover.

"Aurora, please put your right hand on your heart and repeat after me."

I do as I was told, waiting for further instructions as I look into the crown of people who are smiling back at me.

"I Princess Aurora," 

"I Princess Aurora," I repeat.

"Promise to take care of Avelyn,"

"With my best and full effort,"

"And to keep happiness, justice, and peace among the people of our kingdom and with other kingdoms."

"I promise to give all I have for this kingdom and it's people."

"I will never betray my home, and forever it will stay in my heart, until my dying breath"

The crowd cheers and chants my name with pride and happiness and I feel my grin growing and my nerves disappearing. The people are happy that I'm their princess.

"I now place this tiara upon your head, with it the full responsibility of a princess. You shall wear this tiara proudly and with your head held high as you serve our kingdom with loyalty and passion."

He places the tiara down on my head, and from the corner of my eye I see my mom let out a couple of tears, the same with my dad. My sisters are looking at me with proud smiles on their faces. 

And that gives me hope. The loud cheers of the people, the proud smiles I'm receiving, it all gives me hope that I will be a good princess, and that I will make Avelyn a better place for all.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, Princess Aurora; Leader of Avelyn's youth!"

I smile at everyone cheering for me, holding my head up high.

I'm ready.