Chapter 32

Things had been quiet until Opie went back to work. The four of them spent quality time together, they had taken a nice family trip to the zoo and after she was officially moved it and the kids were at school Opie and Mae spent every moment them could naked. That morning, his first day, she stood, staring with a blank look on her face, as the kids dashed out of the house on their way to school with the neighbor and her children. Mae wasn't worried about actually being alone, she was terrified of how she'd feel being alone. Coming down the steps like an elephant Opie noticed her zoning out and chuckled, waving his hand in front of her face. "Did I miss the kids?"

"Huh?" She blinked a few times. "Oh yeah, they said bye."

"Don't freak out, Mae." Already he was concerned. If they didn't need the money he would have loved to stay home with her but someone needed to have an income. "It's going to be fine."

"I know," she smiled and poured him some coffee. "I actually have stuff to do. Mainly just groceries and I have to remember to pick up my dry cleaning for the interview, and then just stuff around here."

"I'm proud of you, Maelynn." Fidgeting with his hair Opie growled. "I'm going to miss my goddamn beanie." He could see her smile to herself and it made him hopeful that she would be okay.

"I'm going to miss my man."

Something came over him, an overwhelming urge to love her. Maybe it was something about what Dave had said, or the confidence to do what he already wanted to but the reason didn't matter, just that he did it. Snatching his hat from the other room he lumbered over to her. "I love you." He said firmly but, the rest of his words were stuttered and nervous. Opie pulled the hat down over her head, the stretched fabric pooling at her ears. "We should get married."

"What?" It couldn't have been more clear but Mae was utterly confused. She touched the hat on her head and smiled, it was adorable and awkward and exactly why she loved him. "Are you proposing to me?"

"No." He had wanted it to be special, a grand romantic gesture, but that wasn't what he excelled at in their relationship. He'd have to do something, think of some way to make it special. "Yeah." He laughed. "I was planning on it but I didn't want to wait. You'll get a ring," he whispered into her hear, his beard tickling her neck. "I just wanted you know about my uhhh, intentions."

Mae was touched, she'd never felt anything like the swirling love and devotion that filled her. Gripping his hands in hers, she screwed her eyes shut and beamed. "I think we should too. I think we should call this our declaration of intent." She peeked one eye open. "I am a girl after all, I expect one knee and a sparkling rock."

"My girl," he wrapped his arms around her and kissed her passionately, bumping her against the fridge with unexpected force. "You'll get it but you'll have to wear the hat until then." With her eyes still shut, she nodded. "Hey, look at me. What are you doing?"

"Concentrating." She laughed. "I want to remember everything about this moment."

"I love you." He kissed her again. "Wear that damn hat today," he instructed, reluctantly letting her go. "I'll be home around four."

"I'll be waiting."

She walked him to the door and, feeling much more confident and less afraid than she imagined, waved him off with pride as if it were his first day of school. It was the hat, she decided jokingly to herself. It hit her, they were getting married, and she burst into a fit of giggles. It wasn't the proposal she'd dreamed of but Mae wouldn't have changed it, besides she was going to get another go, it was the best of both worlds.

---

"Winston!" The supervisor shouted, his voice hoarse but still strong. "You're done, head on back."