Chapter 31

"This carpool idea with the neighbors is fabulous."

Mae grinned as she slung her leg over Opie and straddled him as he finally began to wake up. Finding her on him with a sunny smile was unexpected but very appreciated. Gingerly he gripped her waist, his fingers kneading her skin, and holding her tight against him. It had been three days since Opie was last at the lot and the two of them were making the most of the time together before he had to start back to work. All the attention, the long conversations about nothing and most importantly the affection had been doing wonders for Mae but she still feared what it would be like when he went back to work.

"Are they gone?" Opie asked, his fingers toying with the lace of her panties.

"Yup. I got them up and out and came right back to bed." They barely even touched before Mae could feel his straining against his boxers. Wriggling as much as she could, the pain was considerably less but still affected her, Mae sucked on her bottom lip. "You know, I'm starting to feel much better." She leaned over, her palms on his chest.

"Are you?" Reaching up Opie kissed her sweetly, his large hands running down across her cheeks to her neck and down her back. "I don't want to hurt you." He grumbled and holding her firmly as he sat up guided her legs around his waist

"You could never," she assured him, her voice silky as it hit his ears. Mae yelped as he suddenly kissed her forcefully, his hand tangling in her hair as he held her head. "But don't try to," she murmured into his mouth. "Just love me, Opie."

---

Just a few days off his bike was too long for Opie. He left Mae at home, in bed, while he went to grab a pack of cigarettes and some lunch for them. His first stop was the convenience store, he rolled right up beside Hale's Jeep. The first thought that came to mind was Mae's voice, she always told him she didn't believe in coincidence. Leaning back, he lit the last of his pack and waited for Dave to exit the store. Without his cut Opie felt naked. In some ways even less confident without the bold statement, but knowing he didn't have the bull's eye on his back made him feel safer and more sure of himself than ever.

"Deputy Chief," he smiled as Hale walked out into the parking lot. Opie wondered if Hale knew he'd just spent hours in bed with Mae, if with some kind of animalistic instinct he could smell her on him.

"What can I do for you Winston?" The hood of his Jeep was hot from the sun but Hale didn't flinch as he casually pressed his palm flat on the scorching metal. "You know stalking is against the law, right?"

"I wasn't sure if you knew that." Flicking his cigarette butt right by Hale's feet Opie got off his bike. "Don't come back to my place and don't bother Mae again."

"You just can't help yourself can you?" Narrowing his eyes Hale looked Opie up and down with nothing but disdain. "All I've ever wanted for her was better than you." Charging, Opie growled as he forced himself to stop short of clobbering the deputy. "You just proved my point. Instead of using your words," he said mockingly, "You resort to violence."

"Mae does the talking and since you can't respect her and what she wants, I'll just have to beat it into you." Dave stepped back, one hand on his radio in case he had to call for backup. He wasn't sure how serious the threat was but he wasn't keen on a beat down from someone as huge and as angry as Opie Winston. Chuckling at Hale's, what Opie perceived to be, cowardice, he shook his head and put more space between them. "Just leave us alone."

"I'm not bothering you, or her. Mae wants to be friends, you have to respect that."

"She doesn't need friends, she doesn't need you."

Smiling at that Dave simply shrugged and unlocked the door to his truck. He wasn't going to poke or prod and make problems for Mae at home. Sliding in, he buckled his seatbelt and as he turned the ignition glanced back at Opie. "She deserves more, we both know that. At least you did the right thing about Jax."