Chapter 9

As Opie tossed her playfully on the bed Mae bounced with a little yelp. They didn't have to be quiet like they usually did and she was going to take advantage of that. She giggled as he kicked his boots off and sent his cut flying across the room.

"Come here." He growled and brought her to the edge of the beg by her ankles. "You're my girl." The words were spoken through gritted teeth as he nibbled on her collarbone. "Right?"

"I'm your girl." She pushed him up and whipped her shirt off before reaching for his. "Can we not play right now? We have all day for games. I need you."

Mae was leaning up on her elbows while Opie kneeled above her. He took a long second to look at her before diving back down on top of her. Their lips crashed together as they awkwardly tried to strip down the rest of the way without separating.

Kissing up and down her body Opie smiled as she murmured happily. All she needed was his touch to make everything okay again. His hands roamed her body eagerly trying to reacquaint himself with her curves, as if he could ever forget. Compared to Lyla, who was always over polished and fake, Mae felt smooth and natural, her skin soft beneath his rough palms.

They spent the entire day in bed making up for lost time, as Mae put it. Peeling their slick bodies apart they showered and she started dinner as he picked up the kids from school. It was proper and not at all what their daily routine would be like but it was something they all needed.

--

Catching sight of Tig, Opie, and Clay grouped together piqued Jax's interest. He was just about to leave for the school but instead he made his way over to catch the tail end of Opie's story about Hale. After joining them Jax kept quiet and listened carefully.

"He tried to put that shit on you?" Tig asked furiously. "Self righteous son of a bitch."

"She knows the truth? You set that straight, right?" Clay asked, his tone was supportive as ever. After the mistakes they'd made he and Tig were on task when it came to protecting brothers and old ladies.

Nodding Opie flicked his cigarette butt over the fence. "She was upset but I explained it all. We're good now. I just thought you guys should know he's kicking dirt up."

Tig's upper lip curled into a snarl, his hands flexing into fists. "We should take care of it."

With a discerning look Clay shook his head quickly. "And kill the Deputy Sheriff?" He asked in a harshly. "Rein it in, Tigger."

"It's done." Opie was confident. "She knows the truth." The truth, it weighed heavily on Tig and now it seemed to be crushing him. He sulked off, only Clay knew the real reason for his attitude. "I really appreciate the support, Clay. I know it's tricky."

With a toothy grin Clay nodded and slapped his hand on Opie's shoulder. "You're a good man, Ope. I've always got your back."

"We all do, Ope." Jax added. "But we'll need more than each other if we're late, my Mom's probably pitching a fit."

"If they don't get here," Gemma huffed checking her watch obsessively. "You know, I really don't ask them for much."

--

Commiserating and gossiping Luann bustled around with Gemma and Tara as they set up plates and bowls, plastic cutlery and the like. Speeding off the moment she saw Tig and Chibs rolling up Gemma was directing them before they even had their helmets off.

"Alright, alright," Tig hopped off his bike and ruffled his hair between his fingers. "I've got to keep close, Clay wants my eyes open." They were speaking in alone now; Chibs was already heading over to where Jax stood trying to keep out of his Mom's view.