Chapter 27

Opie raised his arm once they were hidden from view between the fence and the side of the house, his gun trained on Salazar. It took every ounce of self-control he had to not empty his clip into the asshole's face. He recognized him, vaguely, but Opie wasn't sure from where. Forcing him back against the storage shed Opie called Mae but Kenny answered her phone instead. Without taking his eyes or aim from Salazar Opie gave strict and clear instructions.

"Go up to my room with your sister and Mae, lock the door Kenny and don't leave until I come and get you." Turning the phone away from his mouth Opie glared at Salazar. "You alone?" He nodded and Opie went right back to his call as Mae grabbed the phone from the boy in a panic. "Calm down, everything is fine, Mae."

"Kenny said to lock the door. Are you okay? Tell me the truth."

Having to argue with her in front of Salazar really burned his ego. Opie ended the conversation quickly, she knew his tone meant not to keep pushing. He lowered his voice, "Mae, stop. Stay put. I'm fine. I need you to call Jax."

"I wouldn't do that," Hector said with a knowingly smile. "You can't trust Jax."

Eyeing him up Opie mumbled into the phone for her not to call Jax, he didn't know why but he believed Salazar enough to want to hear more. Hector couldn't hear but he assumed Opie took his advice. Flipping the phone shut, he tossed it on the table where he had just been sitting. "Don't move." What was he supposed to do? It was exponentially harder to concentrate knowing that his family was in the house and that was without all the noise already drowning out his own thought processes. "You packing?"

Extending his arms out he shook his head and turned ten lifted his shirt to show the waistband of his pants then he even bent to show he wasn't carrying on his ankles either. Salazar wasn't bright but he certainly wasn't that stupid.

"Sit." Opie pointed off to the far corner next to the shed. "What are you doing here?"

"You want to know what happened to your girl? What really happened?" Salazar was doing exactly what Opie said, he sat on the ground, cross-legged, with his hands on his knees.

Opie sneered, his hand tensing as he began to shake with fury. "You were there?"

"Luisa was my girl." Actually admitting he had been there this early was dangerous, Salazar wasn't ready to take that step just yet. "She's dead because of Jax." The sadness in his voice was palpable.

"No." Shaking his head Opie glanced back, he wouldn't have been surprised if Mae suddenly wanted a peek. "She's dead because her and that asshole tried to kidnap a deputy and my old lady, bad move. You're gonna be dead for the same reason."

"Why do you think we did that?" Hector asked, masking the pain with attitude. "Calaveras has no beef with Charming PD."

"You have beef with the Sons though. Maybe you were too scared to come at us directly, huh?"

"We had beef, until your VP offered a deal to Dante but now he's dead too. Funny how that happens when shit goes wrong, isn't it?"

Salazar was getting in his head easily and they both knew that. Opie had to try to regain control; this guy was screwing with him. "Shut the fuck up." Taking large and threatening steps toward him Opie felt such unimaginable hate in that moment it was all-consuming. "They're dead because of a shitty plan and bad driving, not Jax, that's the truth. You too coward to take responsibility? Why don't you just tell me why you did it and who else is involved."

"The only other one involved is Jax Teller." Salazar sneered as he said the name. "He told Dante he could clear the shit between them if he did something, then he asked him if he knew Hale." That was all Jax had said, suddenly his case seemed weak and he feared a bullet between the eyes more than ever. "We nabbed him for Jax, that chick wasn't supposed to be there, we didn't want to hurt her."